October is Pedestrian Safety Month
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is currently observing National Pedestrian Safety Month. Throughout the Month of October, safety advocates and law enforcement agencies across the nation will be stepping up efforts to raise awareness about pedestrian safety. The NHTSA’s Everyone is a Pedestrian campaign is all about improving motorist awareness of pedestrians on and near roadways. This month, the NHTSA is encouraging people, parents, caregivers, educators and safety advocates to start dialogues about pedestrian safety.
U.S. Pedestrian Crashes by The Numbers
- In 2018, there were 6,283 pedestrians killed in crashes in the U.S.
- Between 2017 and 2018, there was a 3.4 percent increase in pedestrian fatalities.
- On average in 2018, a pedestrian was killed every 84 minutes.
- Pedestrian deaths accounted for 17 percent of all traffic crash fatalities in 2018.
- In 2018, 17 percent of the children 14 and younger killed in crashes were pedestrians.
- In 2018, 89 percent of the pedestrians killed were involved in single vehicle crashes.
Everyone is a Pedestrian
Pedestrians are everywhere, and one of the most important aspects of improving pedestrian safety is making a commitment to distraction-free driving. If you’re looking at your phone or doing something else that takes your attention away from the task of driving, you’re not safely sharing the road with pedestrians and other roadway users. Pedestrians can be on roadsides, in crosswalks, in parking lots and just about anywhere, so motorists need to remain vigilant behind the wheel and always be on the lookout for pedestrians.
Pedestrian Accidents in Southern California
Pedestrians, along with cyclists and motorcycle riders, are one of the most vulnerable roadway user groups. They don’t have steel framed vehicles, seat belts or even helmets to protect them. Pedestrians are truly at the mercy of the motorists they share the roadways with. After any kind of pedestrian accident, it’s a good idea to speak with a Personal Injury lawyer.
If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident in San Diego or anywhere in Southern California, contact the skilled and proven team at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, Inc. at 1.800.GO.HARRIS for a free case consultation today.