The Dangers of a Rollover Crash
Rollover accidents are among some of the most dangerous and deadly types of crashes on the road. They often occur at high speeds, in desolate locations and can leave victims with catastrophic or fatal injuries. Understanding the risk factors associated with rollover accidents and how to minimize your risk will help to keep you safe on California roadways.
Who is Most at Risk?
• Approximately 40 percent of fatal rollover crashes involved excessive speeding.
• Rollover crashes account for 33 percent of all passenger vehicle fatalities.
• You’re 75 percent less likely to be killed in a rollover crash if you’re wearing a seat belt.
• Almost three-quarters of all fatal rollover crashes occur in rural areas.
• More than 10,000 people a year are killed in rollover crashes.
• Taller, narrow vehicles, like SUV’s, are more likely to rollover.
Higher Fatality Rate
For a variety of reasons, rollover crashes have a higher fatality rate than many other types of crashes. In 2010, rollover crashes accounted for almost 35 percent of all deaths from passenger vehicle crashes. Over 7,600 people died in rollover crashes that year, and nearly 70 percent of them were not bucked up at the time of the crash. Since the majority of rollover-related fatalities (85 percent) occur in one-vehicle crashes, driver behavior is the most important factor in preventing this type of wreck.
Minimize Your Risk By:
• Avoiding panic-like steering
• Knowing proper maneuvering behind the wheel
• Knowing your tire pressure and loading limits
• Using caution on rural roads
After a Rollover Crash in San Diego
If you or a loved one has been injured in a rollover crash in San Diego, speaking to an experienced personal injury lawyer needs to be a top priority. Rollover accident are traumatic, to say the least. In addition to extensive physical injury, victims can be left with painful emotional scars surrounding the event. Whether you’re recovering from your injuries in the hospital or you’re taking care of a loved one after a rollover accident, speaking with an attorney is the most important step you can take to begin putting the pieces back together.