The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) has recently issued a press release reminding motorists to secure loads before traveling. Traveling with unsecured loads isn’t just unsafe. It’s illegal. Private motorists and commercial drivers are being reminded of the importance of properly securing their loads, no matter how far the trip is. At the least, an unsecured load can litter up roadways and pollute nearby water sources. At worst, unsecured cargo can create dangerous hazards that can cause injury causing or potentially fatal car accidents.
Unsecured Cargo: A Preventable Problem
Officials with Caltrans are quick to point out that unsecured cargo is a 100-percent preventable problem. According to initial reports, Caltrans spent over $67 million picking up litter and debris from California roadways last year alone. Since a load is only truly secure if nothing can slide, shift, or fall onto the roadway, it’s essential to strap down and secure all cargo in and on your vehicle prior to hitting the roadway. Listed below are some important tips for properly securing your cargo prior to travel.
Caltrans’ Load Securing Safety Tips
- Tie down large and heavy items.
- Use solid straps, ropes, cords, and netting when necessary.
- Ensure straps and tie-down methods are appropriate for the size and weight of the cargo involved.
- Cover your cargo.
- Use tarps or netting to cover loads, especially if there are small loose items like grass clippings or mulch.
- Don’t put your trash in pickup truck beds.
- Litter in a pickup truck bed will quickly fly out and pollute the roadways creating hazards for other motorists.
- Re-check your load prior to travel.
- Check your cargo before you pull out. Make sure all straps are tightened and cargo is completely secure.
Loose Cargo Accidents in San Diego
Loose cargo can create hazardous and potentially deadly situations on roadways in California and across the nation. If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a car accident caused by loose cargo in San Diego, along with the Central Coast or in any of the surrounding communities, contact the skilled and proven team at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, Inc. at 1.800.GO.HARRIS for a free case consultation.