Cayucos Personal Injury Lawyers | Accident Attorneys
Were you injured due to someone else’s negligence or intentional wrongdoing? The aftermath of a serious accident can be stressful and frightening, but you may be entitled to compensation for any healthcare bills, lost wages, and other damages you’ve incurred. Our personal injury attorneys in Cayucos can review your case for free and help you fight for the settlement you deserve.
A member of our team can come to you if you cannot come to us. We believe in providing personalized representation, and that means returning your calls and emails promptly, thoroughly investigating your case, and providing regular updates on the progress of your claim. To schedule a no-cost, no-obligation consultation, call 1-800-GO-HARRIS.
Our Cayucos Personal Injury Lawyers Accept All Accident Cases:
- Car Crashes
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Commercial Truck Accidents
- Bus Accidents
- Accidents Involving Rideshare Vehicles
- Motorcycle Collisions
- Airplane, Helicopter, & Other Aircraft Accidents
- Boating Injuries
- Bicycle Accidents
- Turo Accidents
- Dog Attacks
- Premises Liability
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Train Accidents
- Spinal Injuries
- Severe Burns
- Brain Injuries
- Scooter Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Other Personal Injuries
We Won’t Let the Insurance Company Take Advantage of You
In the state of California, insurance companies are required to act in good faith when investigating claims, corresponding with claimants, and paying settlements. Although there are strict laws that govern what insurers can and cannot do when faced with a valid claim, there are still tactics they may employ to reduce the amount of compensation they have to pay out. And if you don’t hire a skilled attorney who knows how to deal with insurance companies, you might end up making a mistake that jeopardizes your case.
For example, the insurance adjuster will likely call you within a few days of the accident to hear your account of events and ask questions about your injuries. This correspondence is usually recorded, and your statements may be used to dispute your claim. The adjuster may even take what you say out of context and argue that it proves you were partially liable for the accident or that your injuries are less severe than you are claiming. This is why it’s best to let your Cayucos personal injury attorney handle all correspondence with the insurance company from day one.
Here are a few more strategies the insurer might use to reduce your potential settlement:
- Offering a Settlement Before You’ve Reached MMI: If you haven’t reached maximum medical improvement yet, it may be difficult to calculate a precise figure for the total cost of healthcare. For example, your recovery might take longer than anticipated, and if treatment is ineffective, your doctor might advise another, more expensive approach. To reduce the amount of compensation they have to pay out, the insurer might offer a settlement early in the proceedings, but if you accept, you won’t be able to seek compensation for any unexpected costs that arise in the future. Your Cayucos personal injury lawyer can help you determine when to enter settlement negotiations.
- Prolonging the Investigation: The longer it takes to investigate your claim, the longer it will take to settle. The longer it takes to settle, the longer you’ll have to wait before receiving compensation for your damages. And the longer you have to wait, the higher your expenses will likely be, and that tends to be accompanied by greater stress levels. It’s not unheard-of for insurance companies to prolong the investigation in the hopes that the claimant will buckle under the financial pressure and accept a low settlement. We can make sure this doesn’t happen by monitoring the insurance company’s activities and ensuring they don’t take an unreasonable amount of time to investigate your claim.
- Arguing Your Injuries Were Pre-Existing: You should never give the insurance company full medical authorization without your lawyer’s permission. They might search for past health complaints or diagnoses and try to contend that your injury was pre-existing.
- Arguing Your Injuries Were Caused by Something Else: It’s important that you don’t give the insurance company the opportunity to argue that your injuries were caused by something else. Be sure to document your injuries from day one, visit a doctor right away, and don’t mention your injuries, accident, or case on social media.
- Scrutinizing Your Social Media Accounts: Social media posts are usually admissible in court, so if you publish something that brings liability or the extent of your damages into question, it may put your claim in jeopardy. Try to stay off social media until your case has been resolved.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Cayucos Personal Injury Law Firm
If you were hurt in a preventable accident in Cayucos or a nearby community, turn to Harris Personal Injury Lawyers for representation. We’ve won more than $300 million for clients, and we will invest the time and resources needed to pursue the best possible outcome for your case. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS or use our contact page to set up a free consultation.