Santa Barbara Personal Injury Lawyers | Accident Attorneys
After a serious injury, no priority takes precedence over seeking medical care. Your health should be your top concern, but if possible, it’s also important to gather evidence at the scene to strengthen your subsequent claim. If you’re in need of legal advice or representation after a sudden accident or the death of a family member, contact our Santa Barbara personal injury attorneys for a free consultation.
Our law firm provides personalized legal services with a focus on meticulous preparation. We approach each case as if we’re going to trial, even if we expect to reach an out-of-court settlement. This philosophy has resulted in more than $300,000,000 in financial awards for our clients.
We can come to you if you’re unable to come to us. Dial 1-800-GO-HARRIS to speak with a member of our team in a free case review.
Cases Our Santa Barbara Personal Injury Attorneys Handle
- Car Accidents
- Bike Accidents
- Motorcycle Crashes
- 18-Wheeler Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Aircraft Accidents
- Turo Accidents
- Boat Accidents
- Slip and Falls
- Premises Liability
- Accidents Involving Rideshare Vehicles
- Scooter Injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Brain Injuries
- Bus Accidents
- Dog Bites
- Train Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Other Personal Injuries
How Should I Prepare for My Initial Consultation with a Personal Injury Attorney?
If you’ve been severely hurt in a sudden accident, you probably have a lot on the line both financially and personally. From a financial standpoint, you may be facing the possibility of insurmountable debt and perhaps even bankruptcy if your claim is unsuccessful. On a personal level, the outcome of your case could affect the quality of the healthcare you receive. If you’ve suffered a permanent disability, a personal injury settlement may provide the funds needed to live a life of maximum independence by potentially paying for domestic help, home and vehicle modifications, and other necessary services.
With so much on the line, you should do everything in your power to facilitate the proceedings and to increase the chances of recovering a fair settlement. While the outcome of your case is largely out of your control, there are steps you can take to help your Santa Barbara personal injury lawyer build your claim. For example, by taking the time to prepare for your free initial consultation, your attorney will have a strong starting point for the investigation. Adequate preparation may also help your lawyer identify the disputes that are most likely to arise and take the necessary steps to avoid or overcome them.
You can prepare for the consultation by:
- Writing down What You Remember: Small details can make a huge difference when it comes to proving liability and damages. It’s not uncommon for a seemingly insignificant observation to have a major impact on how an attorney conducts the investigation. For example, if you noticed surveillance cameras in the area or you suspect a nearby business might have a CCTV camera system, make a note of such in your written description. You should also record the time, date, location, whether law enforcement attended the scene, a description of your injuries, and your statements and actions while at the scene.
- Compiling Evidence from the Scene: Come to your initial consultation prepared with any evidence you gathered at the scene. Your Santa Barbara personal injury attorney will be interested in any photographs you took of property damage and injuries, as well as statements you recorded from eyewitnesses.
- Gathering Medical Documents: Your attorney will need medical documentation to prove the kinds of injuries you sustained and to tie them to the accident. By showing that you received prompt medical attention, the insurer may be less likely to argue that you’ve failed to mitigate your damages.
- Compiling Receipts and Invoices: Any documentation you have of expenses related to your injury or accident may be used by your lawyer to prove damages.
- Printing out Relevant Insurance Policies: If you have medical payments coverage, collision coverage, uninsured motorist coverage, or another insurance policy that might pay benefits, bring those policies with you to the initial consultation.
- Gathering Financial Documents: Any income you lost can be included in the settlement calculations. If you haven’t yet been able to return to work, you may also be entitled to compensation for loss of future income.
- Printing Any Correspondence with the Opposing Party: Bring along any emails, text messages, or other correspondence you’ve had with the defendant or insurance company.
Discuss Your Claim with a Personal Injury Lawyer in Santa Barbara
At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we know what it takes to win substantial settlements and verdicts in personal injury and wrongful death cases. Our attorneys have represented more than 5,000 clients, so we’ve encountered and overcome just about every kind of complication that can arise during these proceedings. To discuss your case with a well-credentialed and highly experienced personal injury lawyer, call us today at 1-800-GO-HARRIS or send us a message for a free consultation.