San Diego Personal Injury Attorneys | Accident Lawyers
Most people go about their day with little to no concern about being seriously injured. The unfortunate truth is that a devastating accident can happen at any time—whether you’re driving a vehicle, walking down the road, or just shopping for groceries. If you or someone you love was harmed due to the negligence or intentional wrongdoing of another person, turn to our San Diego personal injury attorneys for representation.
You may be entitled to compensation for healthcare costs, lost income, pain and suffering, and other damages. We’ve helped accident victims and their families recover more than $300,000,000 in settlements and trial verdicts.
There’s no charge for the initial consultation, and we accept cases on a contingency fee basis. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS to speak with a member of our team.
San Diego Personal Injury Lawyers Handle All Accident Cases:
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Car Crashes
- Bike Accidents
- 18-Wheeler Accidents
- Turo Vehicle Accidents
- Airplane & Other Aircraft Accidents
- Boat Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Scooter Injuries
- Brain Injuries
- Severe Burns
- Spinal Cord Injuries (SCIs)
- Public, Tour, & Other Bus Accidents
- Dog Bites & Other Animal Attacks
- Slip and Falls
- Premises Liability
- Accidents Involving Rideshare Vehicles
- Train Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Other Personal Injuries
Damages in California Personal Injury Cases
California courts recognize that personal injury victims can suffer financially, physically, and emotionally. Some of the most devastating effects of a serious injury are intangible. Severe pain, for example, can prevent a person from enjoying favorite hobbies and family activities. Permanent scarring, disfigurement, or amputation can cause overwhelming depression. The resulting trauma can ripple through the entire family, affecting spouses and children just as profoundly as the victim.
The intangible ramifications of a tort are called non-economic damages. In California, personal injury claimants can seek compensation for both non-economic and economic damages, which are objectively verifiable losses such as medical bills and lost wages. Together, non-economic and economic damages are called “compensatory damages.”
Below is a breakdown of the compensatory damages that might be recoverable in a personal injury claim:
- Medical Expenses: Your claim can account for any healthcare costs incurred as a direct result of the tort. These may include emergency medical care, surgery, rehabilitation, and any other reasonable and necessary healthcare services. You can also pursue compensation for medical care that you’ll need in the future.
- Loss of Income: Not being able to work for even a short amount of time can be incredibly stressful. Most people can’t afford to keep up with essential bills after missing a single paycheck, so being out of work for just a few weeks could lead to insurmountable debt. Our San Diego personal injury lawyers can help you pursue compensation for any income you’ve lost as a result of the injury, as well as any income you’re reasonably certain to lose in the future.
- Property Damage: If your property was damaged in the accident, the cost of repairing or replacing it may be a recoverable expense.
- Pain and Suffering: Serious injuries are often accompanied by debilitating pain and suffering. Our San Diego personal injury attorneys can help you calculate a fair figure for pain and suffering damages.
- Emotional Distress: If you suffered a severe physical impact or shock that resulted in a physical disorder, emotional distress damages might be recoverable. These damages might also be available to people who witness a loved one die or suffer a catastrophic injury.
- Loss of Consortium: A serious injury can affect the entire family. If an injury causes a loss of companionship, love, care, assistance, intimacy, or moral support, the spouse or registered domestic partner of the victim might be entitled to compensation for loss of consortium.
- Hedonic Damages: These damages compensate the victim for loss of enjoyment in life. They might be recoverable if an injury prevents the victim from enjoying favorite activities or social events. They may also be available if the injury affects the victim’s relationships with loved ones or causes feelings of humiliation or inadequacy.
Under some circumstances, claimants can also seek punitive damages, which are awarded only in cases involving malice, oppression, or fraud. The purpose of punitive damages is to punish the defendant and to deter similar behavior in the future.
Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS Today to Speak with a Personal Injury Lawyer in San Diego
If your financial future is at stake due to a serious injury, it’s important that you enlist the help of a law firm with the skills, experience, and resources to provide effective representation. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, our attorneys have many decades of combined experience and a track record of success in settlement negotiations and litigation.
More than 5,000 clients have turned to us in their hour of need, but we remain committed to providing the personal representation of a small, neighborhood practice. To speak with a member of our team in a free consultation, call 1-800-GO-HARRIS or send us a message online.