A slip and fall can result in devastating injuries that cost a veritable fortune in medical bills. Victims might be sidelined from work for months, and some injuries never fully heal. Our San Diego slip and fall lawyers understand how financially, emotionally, and physically traumatic these accidents can be, and we’re ready to help you fight for the settlement you need to move on with life.
We have an in-depth knowledge of the laws pertaining to slip and fall cases, and we know what it takes to win substantial financial awards for our clients. More than 5,000 people have turned to us for representation, and we’ve earned hundreds of 5-star reviews on Google for providing aggressive and compassionate legal services.
You won’t have to pay anything for the initial consultation, and we handle cases on a contingency fee basis. To speak with someone on our team, call 1-800-GO-HARRIS.
Types of Claims Our San Diego Slip and Fall Attorneys Handle:
- Outdoor slip and falls
- Indoor slip and falls
- Falls caused by freshly mopped floors without warning signs
- Falls caused by spilled liquids
- Falls due to a lack of handrails
- Falls on walkways and parking lots
- Public property slip and falls
- Slip and falls on commercial premises
- Slip and falls on residential premises
- Poolside slip and falls
- Weather-related slip and falls
What Do I Have to Prove to Win My Case?
The answer to this question depends on many factors including where the incident occurred, how it happened, and who is responsible.
But generally speaking, slip and fall claimants must prove the following to recover an award of damages:
- The property owner, their employee, or another party was negligent;
- This negligence was the proximate cause of your slip and fall; and
- You suffered damages as a result of the slip and fall.
Negligence is established by proving the defendant owed you a duty of care and breached that duty. The duty of care you were owed by the property owner at the time of your injury depends on whether you were an invitee, licensee, or trespasser.
Most slip and fall claims are brought by “invitees,” which is a classification of visitors that are owed the highest duty of care. If your injury happened on a commercial property that you were visiting for the economic benefit of the property owner—for example, if you were a patron at a restaurant or a customer at a supermarket—you would have been considered an invitee.
Property owners owe a duty to invitees to inspect their premises for dangerous conditions, remedy those dangerous conditions within a reasonable time frame, and warn invitees about dangerous conditions.
Below are just a few ways this duty might be breached:
- Failing to clean up a spilled beverage within a reasonable amount of time;
- Failing to perform regular inspections of the premises to identify dangerous conditions;
- Failing to provide adequate lighting or handrails;
- Failing to perform reasonable maintenance to ensure floor surfaces are safe; or
- Failing to post warning signs to alert invitees about freshly mopped floors.
Our San Diego slip and fall lawyers might use the following evidence to prove negligence and causation:
- Video footage of the accident;
- Photos of injuries and the dangerous condition that caused your fall;
- The incident report;
- Statements from eyewitnesses;
- Building maintenance records; and
- Medical documentation.
Your attorney will then need to prove damages. Evidence of damages may include:
- Healthcare bills, diagnostic imaging, and other medical records;
- Paystubs, 1099s, and income tax returns;
- Photos of injuries;
- Your personal injury journal;
- Expert witness testimony; and
- Receipts for any injury-related expenses like domestic help.
Our San Diego slip and fall attorneys have many years of combined experience helping victims and their families navigate the legal system. Once we’ve heard the facts of your case, we’ll get to work right away to compile all available evidence to support your claim. We know when to bring in experts to provide testimony, and if the property owner tries to withhold evidence, we can file subpoenas to obtain it. With one of our lawyers by your side, you can rest assured that you’ll be well-represented through every stage of the proceedings.
Discuss Your Claim with a Slip and Fall Lawyer in San Diego: Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS
While there are many law firms that accept slip and fall cases, few have the experience and resources to provide exceptional representation. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we have a track record of success in premises liability claims, and we know the most effective strategies for maximizing the potential value of each case we handle.
A member of our team will evaluate your case for free and provide the advice you need to make informed decisions. Dial 1-800-GO-HARRIS or send us a message online to set up a consultation. We’re available 24/7 to take your call.