San Diego Wrongful Death Attorneys
No amount of money can undo the tragedy of losing a loved one in a sudden accident. But if you’ve incurred significant costs or loss of income, filing a claim against the at-fault party may be the only way to restore your financial stability. Our San Diego wrongful death attorneys can help you explore all possible avenues for recovering compensation, and we won’t settle for anything less than you deserve. Our lawyers accept cases on a contingency fee basis, which means you won’t owe any attorney’s fees unless we win a settlement or verdict. To schedule a free consultation, call our office today at 1-800-GO-HARRIS.
Types of Claims Our San Diego Wrongful Death Attorneys Handle:
- Car, Truck, Bicycle, and Motorcycle Accidents
- Turo Accidents
- Public, Tour, & Other Bus Accidents
- Premises Liability Wrongful Death Cases
- Aircraft Accidents
- Boating Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Scooter Accidents
- Train Accidents
- Rideshare Accidents
- Other Wrongful Death Cases
Who Can Bring a Wrongful Death Claim in California?
There are two types of action that can be brought after a wrongful death: a survival action and a wrongful death claim. These two actions are often combined and brought to court at the same time. A survival action must be brought by the personal representative of the deceased’s estate. A wrongful death claim can be brought by the personal representative or by various parties who would inherit the deceased’s property if he or she did not have a will. If the deceased was married at the time of death, his or her surviving spouse would have the right to file the claim. If there’s no spouse, the deceased’s offspring could bring the claim, followed by the deceased’s dependent stepchildren, minors who lived with the deceased for at least half a year, and then the dependent parents of the deceased. If none of the above parties is available, the deceased’s surviving parents would have the right to file the claim, followed by his or her siblings and their children, grandparents, and then the children of the deceased’s spouse who had passed away. If none of these parties is available, the next of kin would have the right to bring the wrongful death claim.
Why Should I Hire a Wrongful Death Lawyer?
After losing a family member due to wrongful death, it’s common for surviving loved ones to question whether they should hire an attorney. The thought of incurring legal costs can be especially troubling if you’re already facing funeral expenses and the loss of income. Fortunately, our wrongful death attorneys in San Diego offer free consultations and work on contingency fee contracts, so you won’t have to worry about paying any attorney’s fees unless we win. Read on to learn a few reasons why hiring a well-credentialed lawyer is the smartest step you can take to protect your claim:
- A Small Mistake Could Have Major Ramifications: You might already know that it’s a good idea not to provide statements to the insurance company, but there are many other mistakes you could make inadvertently. For example, if you use social media to reach out to loved ones, your posts might be reviewed by the insurance adjuster and used to challenge your claim. And if you overlook valuable evidence, this might increase the chances of a dispute. Our San Diego wrongful death lawyers can help you avoid critical oversights and make sure you’re treated fairly by the claims adjuster.
- We’ll Handle Correspondence with the Insurance Company: Your statements might be taken out of context by the insurance adjuster and used to dispute liability or damages. To protect your case, it’s important that you let a seasoned wrongful death attorney handle this dialogue on your behalf.
- We’ll Help You Account for All Damages: If you’re falling behind on bills, you might be eager to accept the first settlement offered by the insurance company. Unfortunately, it’s common for the initial offer to exclude or undervalue certain damages. Our lawyers won’t let the insurance company coerce you into accepting a low settlement. If they refuse to cooperate, we’re not afraid to take your case to court.
- Expert Witnesses Might Play an Important Role: If you intend to seek compensation for loss of future income and benefits, it’s likely that the testimony of an economic expert will play a critical role in the proceedings. Our attorneys work with a network of financial specialists who have the knowledge and experience to provide compelling testimony in wrongful death cases.
Dial 1-800-GO-HARRIS to Speak with a Wrongful Death Lawyer in San Diego
We understand how difficult life can be after a sudden death in the family. Our attorneys are here to handle the logistics of your case so you can focus on more important matters. To schedule a free consultation, send us a message online or call our 24-hour phone line at 1-800-GO-HARRIS.