California Wrongful Death Attorneys | Injury Lawyers
The unexpected loss of a family member is always tragic, but it can be especially difficult to cope when the death was caused by another person’s or company’s negligence. The California wrongful death attorneys at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers understand the emotional trauma you and your family are experiencing. We are here to answer your questions and help you pursue justice and compensation from those who are responsible for your loved one’s passing.
Our commitment to exceptional legal representation has allowed us to recover more than $300 million for victims of personal injury and wrongful death. Call us today at 1-800-GO-HARRIS for a free case evaluation.
California Wrongful Death Attorneys
A wrongful death occurs when a person dies due to the negligence or wrongful act of another. Generally speaking, if the deceased would have had grounds for a personal injury claim had he or she lived, surviving family members would have grounds for a wrongful death claim.
Wrongful Death Cases We Handle
There are countless scenarios that could give rise to a wrongful death claim.
The injury attorneys at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers handle a variety of wrongful death cases including:
- Wrongful death due to car accidents;
- Wrongful death due to motorcycle accidents;
- Wrongful death due to truck accidents;
- Wrongful death due to pedestrian accidents;
- Wrongful death due to hit and run accidents;
- Wrongful death due to drunk driving accidents;
- Wrongful death due to rideshare accidents;
- Wrongful death due to defective products;
- Wrongful death due to a trip, slip, and or fall accident;
- And more…
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in California?
Pursuant to California Code of Civil Procedure Section 377.60, the following parties may bring a wrongful death claim:
- The deceased’s surviving spouse if they were married at the time of death;
- The deceased’s surviving domestic partner;
- The deceased’s surviving children;
- People who would be entitled to the deceased’s property as if he or she did not have a will;
- The deceased’s putative spouse, the children of the putative spouse, parents, or stepchildren of the deceased;
- A minor that resided with the deceased for 180 days in the deceased’s home and was dependent on him or her for at least half of their support; or
- A personal representative of the deceased.
If you are unsure, give Harris Personal Injury Lawyers a call today to see if you have a viable wrongful death claim.
What Damages Are Recoverable After a Wrongful Death in California?
Every wrongful death claim is unique, so the types of damages that are recoverable and their value can differ significantly from one case to the next. Depending on the facts of your case, you may be able to recover compensatory damages (economic and non-economic damages) and exemplary damages, also known as “punitive damages.”
Economic Damages Include Objectively Calculable Losses Such As:
- Medical bills incurred by the deceased from the time of the injury to his or her death;
- Burial and funeral costs;
- Financial support the deceased person would have contributed to his or her family;
- The loss of benefits or gifts that would have been given by the deceased to his or her heirs; and
- Compensation for household services the deceased provided.
Non-economic damages are intangible losses such as loss of society, support, affection, love, comfort, and companionship.
Our California Wrongful Death Lawyers Offer Free Consultations Everyday
Harris Personal Injury Lawyers will ask you questions to determine whether you have grounds for a claim and how to proceed.
Those questions might include:
- How did your loved one die?
- Did your loved one receive medical treatment between his or her final injury and death?
- What evidence have you gathered to support your claim?
- Have you already spoken to the defendant or insurance company?
California Wrongful Death Lawyers You Can Trust!
The California wrongful death lawyers at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers know how difficult it can be to cope with the loss of a loved one. We will do everything in our power to alleviate the stress and help you recover the compensation you need to move on with life.
With many years of experience handling complex wrongful death cases, our attorneys have the knowledge and tenacity to represent your interests. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS today or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation. We are available 24/7 and if you cannot make it into our office, we will come to you.