Dealing with the aftermath of a serious injury or death in the family is tough—no matter what your financial situation is. The emotional trauma and pain can last for years. Our Guadalupe personal injury attorneys understand the position you’re in, and we are ready to help you pursue justice and the highest possible compensation from the at-fault party. From your free initial consultation to the resolution of your case, our lawyers will do everything in their power to help you pursue the best possible outcome and to make the proceedings stress free for you and your loved ones. Our tireless approach to representation has resulted in more than $300 million in settlements and verdicts for our clients. To schedule a no-obligation case review, call us today at 1-800-GO-HARRIS.
Types of Cases Our Guadalupe Personal Injury Lawyers Accept:
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Car Crashes
- Large Truck Accidents
- Boating Accidents
- Tour, Public, and Other Bus Accidents
- Pedestrian Injuries
- Accidents Involving Rideshare Vehicles
- Dog Bites
- Turo Vehicle Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Train Accidents
- Airplane and Other Aircraft Accidents
- Slip and Falls
- Premises Liability
- Scooter Accidents
- Spinal Injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Severe Burns
- Wrongful Death
- Other Personal Injuries
How Long Can I Wait Before Hiring an Attorney?
One of the biggest mistakes you can make after a personal injury or wrongful death in the family is waiting too long to speak to a personal injury lawyer. Although the thought of legal proceedings might seem overwhelming, it’s important that your attorney can investigate your case right away. Over time, important evidence might become unavailable. Also, eyewitnesses might change their contact details, or they may not recall pertinent facts about your accident. There are all sorts of mistakes you can make early in the proceedings that could lead to a dispute, but with one of our Guadalupe personal injury lawyers by your side from day one, you’ll have a legal advocate to help you avoid critical errors. We’ll also handle the necessary paperwork and take over correspondence with the insurance company so you don’t make any recorded statements that can be taken out of context to dispute liability or the value of your claim. The bottom line: You should seek legal counsel as soon as your health stabilizes, which will most likely be immediately after you leave your first doctor’s visit.
How Do I Determine the Value of My Claim?
There’s no way to estimate a fair settlement amount until a thorough investigation has been performed. That said, you may be able to get a rough idea of the potential value of your claim by becoming familiar with the factors that influence settlement calculations. Those factors include:
- The Types of Damages You’ve Incurred: Have you suffered a permanent injury? Did you have to miss work to recover? Will you be able to return to the same profession? The ways in which your injuries have affected your life and the types of damages you’ve suffered will have a major impact on the settlement calculations. In California, personal injury claims can include compensation for medical bills (past and future), lost income, loss of earning capacity, property repairs, other economic damages, pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of consortium, and loss of life enjoyment. One of our Guadalupe personal injury attorneys can help you determine the types of damages to pursue and calculate their value.
- Whether Punitive Damages Are Available: All successful personal injury claims will result in compensatory damages, but in some cases, punitive damages are also available. Your attorney may advise you to seek punitive damages if the defendant’s conduct was especially egregious as to constitute oppression, malice, or fraud. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we have extensive experience helping clients pursue punitive damages, and we aren’t afraid to take your case to trial if we believe it’s in your best interests to do so.
- Whether You Contributed to Your Damages: What were you doing just before your injuries? Do you think the opposing party might argue that you were partially responsible for your accident? Have you skipped doctor’s appointments or participated in activities that might cause your injuries to worsen? If your own negligence has contributed to the severity of your injuries in any way, the insurance company might argue that you should be held at least partially liable for your damages. This might reduce the value of your claim considerably, so it’s important that you take reasonable steps to mitigate your healthcare costs, lost income, and other damages.
Speak With Our Guadalupe Accident Attorneys Today
The statutes and case law pertaining to personal injury cases in California are complex, and the legal system can be unpredictable. The attorneys at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers will help you navigate every step of the proceedings and will aggressively represent your interests. We will come to you if you cannot come to us. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS or use our Contact Form to set up a free, confidential consultation.