If you're coping with a serious injury or death in the family, the thought of entering into legal proceedings can seem overwhelming. Filing a personal injury or wrongful death claim is a complicated process that involves a number of time-consuming and complex tasks, and one mistake or misguided statement could jeopardize your entire case. The Verdugo City personal injury attorneys at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers can handle the logistics of your claim so you can stay focused on your health and your family’s well-being. We will gather evidence, talk to eyewitnesses, and use proven settlement negotiation strategies to help you achieve the best result possible. We are available 24/7, and if you cannot come to our office, one of our personal injury lawyers will come to you. Schedule a free case assessment today by calling 1-800-GO-HARRIS.
Our Verdugo City Personal Injury Attorneys Handle the Following Claims:
- Car Accident Claims
- Lyft & Uber Accident Claims
- Truck Accident Claims
- Bike Accident Claims
- Boating Accident Claims
- Pedestrian Accident Claims
- Motorcycle Accident Claims
- Bird Scooter Accident Claims
- Bus Accident Claims
- Train Accident Claims
- Turo Accident Claims
- Airplane Accident Claims
- Dog Bite Claims
- Premises Liability Claims
- Slip and Fall Claims
- Burn Injury Claims
- Brain Injury Claims
- Spinal Cord Injury Claims
- Other Personal Injury Claims
- Wrongful Death Claims
Steps to Take After Being Injured:
The aftermath of a serious injury is a confusing and chaotic time. You might have to arrange child care, find a co-worker to take over your shifts, get a family member to drive you to doctor’s appointments, and follow a rigorous treatment plan. Dealing with these obligations can seem overwhelming given that most people have little to no spare time even when they’re healthy. As a result, the logistics of your personal injury claim can easily become an afterthought. Unfortunately, one misstep early in the proceedings could have a profound impact on your case. Making a recorded statement to the insurance company, discussing your recovery on social media, accepting a settlement without your attorney’s approval—these are just a few oversights that can affect the amount of compensation you recover. To ensure your claim goes as smoothly as possible, there are important steps you should take over the hours, days, weeks, and months that follow your injury. Those steps include:
- Contact the Police: The police report is an essential piece of evidence that may help you prove liability and damages. If you were injured on a commercial property, be sure to get an incident report from the business establishment, as well.
- Document the Scene: Take pictures of the scene including your injuries as well as any dangerous conditions and other elements that played a role in the incident. For example, after a slip and fall, you would want to take photos of the wet surface and surrounding area. If you were hurt in a car accident, you should take pictures of the vehicles involved, any property damage, the weather conditions, skid marks, and traffic signs.
- Talk to Witnesses: If there is a dispute regarding the facts of your case, eyewitness testimony may be vital for proving your claim. Write down their names, phone numbers, email addresses, and a brief description of what they saw.
- Seek Medical Care: One of the worst mistakes you can make after a serious injury is putting off your medical exam. It’s a good idea to visit a doctor as soon as possible—preferably after you leave the scene. This will ensure your medical records document your injuries immediately after they occur, which can help your Verdugo City personal injury lawyer tie them to the incident and prove their severity.
- Speak to a Personal Injury Attorney: After you leave the doctor’s office, your next priority is to speak to an accident lawyer. Harris Personal Injury Lawyers is available 24/7 to take your call.
- Set Your Social Media Accounts to “Private:” The opposing party might review your social media profiles for evidence that can be used against you. Be sure to set your accounts to “private” or, preferably, disable them until your case has been resolved.
- Direct All Correspondence to Your Lawyer: If the insurance company calls you, it is likely that the phone conversation will be recorded. DO NOT speak to the insurer without your attorney’s permission. Instead, politely direct all correspondence to your lawyer.
- Take Your Treatment Plan Seriously: Following your doctor’s instructions will prevent the opposing party from claiming that neglect of your treatment plan caused your injuries to worsen.
Speak with a Personal Injury Lawyer in Verdugo City: 1-800-GO-HARRIS
If a serious injury or death in the family has turned your life upside down, contact Harris Personal Injury Lawyers for advice. We have the resources of a large firm but are committed to providing the personalized attention of a small practice. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS or use our contact form to set up a free case evaluation.