California Train Accident Attorneys | Amtrak & Metrolink Lawyers
California Train Accident Attorneys
Train accidents cause hundreds of deaths and thousands of injuries every year in the United States. The vast majority of these tragedies are entirely preventable. If you or a member of your family was severely injured in a train wreck involving Amtrak, Metrolink, Caltrain, or another rail system, turn to the California train accident attorneys at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers for legal guidance.
Our train accident lawyers will answer your questions and explain the steps you should take to give your claim the best chance of resulting in a fair settlement. Our law firm is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We can come to you if you cannot come to us. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS to schedule a free case evaluation.
Types of Cases Our California Train Accident Attorneys Handle:
Our lawyers have many decades of combined experience representing victims of personal injury and wrongful death throughout California. Over that time, we have helped our clients recover more than $300 million in monetary awards.
We handle a variety of train accident claims including those arising from:
- Train accidents involving passenger vehicles;
- Train derailment accidents;
- Train accidents involving pedestrians;
- Train accidents due to equipment malfunctions;
- Accidents involving multiple trains; and
- Train accidents resulting in wrongful death.
Who Can I Sue After a Train Accident in California?
Proving liability is an essential component of any personal injury or wrongful death case. Your claim will not be successful unless it can be shown that the at-fault party (or parties) owed you a duty of care, breached that duty of care and this breach of duty caused your injury or loss.
A duty of care can be breached through an intentional act or a negligent act. The latter is more common in train wreck cases since the liable party typically did not intend to cause the accident.
The parties against whom you bring your claim will depend on the specific cause of your crash. For example:
- Companies that own or operate trains may be liable for damages if they failed to maintain their rail cars, trains, and equipment. They may also be held liable if they hired employees who lacked the necessary qualifications or if they did not provide appropriate training or supervision to their employees.
- Companies that manufacture train parts may be held liable if a manufacturing defect contributed to the wreck.
- Drivers of other vehicles can be held liable if they left their vehicle on the track, resulting in an accident.
What Damages Might Be Recoverable in California Train Accident Cases?
Train wrecks often occur at high speeds and result in devastating injuries. Healthcare expenses and lost income can add up quickly, threatening the financial security of victims and their families.
If your crash was caused by the negligence of another person or entity, you may be able to recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and loss of future earning capacity. These are called “economic damages.” You may also be able to recover “non-economic damages,” which include disability and disfigurement, loss of enjoyment of life, pain, and suffering, and loss of consortium.
Steps to Take After a Train Accident in California
Your actions and statements after a train wreck will have a major impact on the outcome of your claim. The insurance company and defendant will search for reasons to dispute liability and damages, so it is important that you take steps to give your claim the best chance of resulting in a fair settlement. Those steps include:
- Write down an account of what happened. Be sure to note whether the brakes were employed before the crash, where the accident occurred, and the weather conditions;
- Record witnesses’ contact details;
- Take photos of the scene;
- Do not speak to the insurance company or rail company without your train accident lawyer’s permission;
- Visit a doctor immediately, and follow your doctor’s treatment instructions;
- Do not use social media until your case has been resolved; and
- Contact a California train accident lawyer as soon as possible to discuss your case.
Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS to Speak With Our California Train Accident Lawyers Today!
The California train accident attorneys at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers understand the adversity you and your family are facing. Coping with the physical and emotional trauma of serious injuries is never easy. Our lawyers and legal team is here to guide you through this difficult time by answering your questions, explaining the laws related to your case, and helping you fight for the compensation you need to move on with life.
Our personal injury attorneys are experienced settlement negotiators and skilled litigators. Call us today at 1-800-GO-HARRIS or use our contact form to set up a free case assessment with our legal team.