Chula Vista Personal Injury Lawyers | Accident Attorneys
Chula Vista Dog Injury Lawyers
Animal attacks are scary and often emotionally scarring. Not to mention, bite wounds can lead to serious infections that require immediate attention and treatment. Fortunately, though, these incidents are almost always preventable – and even when they do happen, you can be compensated monetarily if the animal’s owner was responsible for the attack.
Our Chula Vista dog bite lawyers can assess your case for free, helping you decide how to handle your claim. We have years of experience representing dog bite victims in California and we will work to ensure that you understand every step of the claims process. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS to schedule a free consultation with one of our personal injury attorneys.
How Do I Know If I Have Grounds to Sue for A Dog Bite?
In California, dog ownership carries certain responsibilities. Most importantly, dog owners need to control their pets in order to prevent injury to others. Although Chula Vista does not enforce any specific dog-related legislation, there are still ways to hold someone liable for a dog bite injury.
Pet owners in California are “strictly liable” for injuries that their animals cause. This means that you do not need to prove that the dog owner acted negligently in order to sue him for damages. Strict liability applies whether you are attacked in a public place or on private property. In other words, you can sue a dog owner for damages even if you are bitten as a guest in someone’s home.
Steps to Take After You Are Attacked
Most dog owners will fight back once you bring a claim for damages. Nonetheless, there are steps you can take to strengthen your claim and to heighten your chances of success.
- Take photos of your injuries right after the attack as well as throughout your treatment and recovery process.
- Consult a doctor for wound treatment, follow his or her orders, and keep a detailed, accessible file of all of your visit notes and medical records.
- Report the attack to your county sheriff’s office or the closest animal control agency so that they are on notice that the dog that bit you is potentially dangerous.
- Contact a California dog bite lawyer to discuss your case before speaking with any insurance companies.
In preserving your claim, bear in mind that insurance companies are generally more concerned with protecting their bottom lines than about footing your medical bills, and they can – and will – use any information you provide them against you. Never accept a settlement offer without first consulting a personal injury attorney who will ensure you receive an adequate measure of damages, from your medical bills to your lost income, emotional distress, and pain and suffering.
Vetting a Personal Injury Lawyer to Represent You
When navigating the claims process, it is critical to engage an attorney who can advocate on your behalf, from building your strict liability case to proving your damages. It is best to select an attorney with the requisite experience. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we have recovered more than $300 million for our clients, a large portion of which has been in animal bite cases. We are positioned to help you pursue compensation for your injuries due to our experience, knowledge, and skill.
- We collectively share years of experience in personal injury law, including in dog bite cases.
- We have extensive experience litigating in California state courts.
- We take an honest, transparent approach when advising you on the strengths and weaknesses of your case.
- We work on a contingency fee basis.
Discuss Your Claim with a Chula Vista Dog Bite Lawyer
With our long history of success in dog bite cases and in-depth knowledge of relevant law, our legal team can ensure you are well-represented throughout each stage of your case. Schedule a free consultation today by calling 1-800-GO-Harris or by sending us a message online.