Dana Point Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Dana Point Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Swapping that gas-guzzling SUV for an eco-friendly, two-wheeled commute can help you save money, skip traffic, and get fit in the process. However, biking isn’t without its risks. All it takes is one distracted driver to turn your pleasant morning ride into a fight for your life and livelihood. If you were hurt in a bicycle accident, our Dana Point bicycle accident attorneys are here to help. We have a long history of representing injured riders in a variety of situations, from failure-to-yield accidents to those caused by reckless motorists. Contact us today at 1-800-GO-HARRIS to learn more about our legal practice.
Elements of a Strong Bicycle Accident Claim
Pursuing damages as part of a personal injury case can be a daunting undertaking. As such, you’ll want to know whether your claim has what it takes to achieve a favorable outcome. While there is no such thing as an open-and-shut case—even with strong evidence, there’s always a chance you will face disputes—there are certain elements that all successful claims have in common. Below are a few signs that you may have a convincing bicycle accident claim:
- You Sought Medical Treatment in a Timely Manner: There are many reasons why claimants might not seek medical attention immediately after a road accident. For some, their injuries didn’t seem serious enough to warrant a trip to the ER; for others, there simply wasn’t enough time in their busy schedules to spend sitting in a waiting room. However, skipping this step is a critical error that could compromise your case. Not only could an underlying health issue go undiagnosed, but failure to get a prompt diagnosis could also lead to disputes when you file your claim. As a claimant in a personal injury case, you have a duty to take reasonable steps to mitigate damages. As part of that responsibility, you will need to get a diagnosis in a timely manner after leaving the accident scene. Failure to do so will likely lead to the insurance company disputing aspects of your case. For instance, they may argue that your condition can’t be very serious as you didn’t require urgent medical attention. Alternatively, they could assert that your injuries stem from a different incident as the date of your diagnosis doesn’t correlate with the day of the accident.
- You Followed Your Healthcare Provider’s Instructions: You got a prompt diagnosis, now the real hard work begins. While your injuries may make it difficult to get out of bed every morning, it’s important to do everything in your power to expedite your recovery. If your doctor has ordered you to attend follow-ups, perform certain stretches, book time off work to rest, or take prescription medication, you should never deviate from their instructions. Doing so could cause your condition to worsen and lead to disputes down the line. If the insurance company discovers that your own negligence exacerbated your injuries or caused your recovery to stall, your financial award may be reduced to reflect your personal degree of liability.
- You Collected Evidence at the Scene: It can be difficult to remain calm after a traumatic event like a bicycle accident, let alone think about building your personal injury case. However, the sooner you start constructing your claim, the sooner you can enter negotiations and reach a resolution. If you are able to do so, you should start gathering information at the accident scene. For instance, you could take down the names and contact numbers of eyewitnesses; use your phone to snap pictures of your injuries, damage to your bicycle, road markings, and road signage; jot down the locations of nearby surveillance cameras; and start writing your account of how the accident occurred. After the accident, you may want to create a folder to compile any evidence related to the accident such as invoices, receipts, and other relevant documents to ensure this information is ready to share with your attorney.
Qualities That Set Our Attorneys Apart from Others in Your Community
In the wake of a serious accident, it can be difficult to focus on anything besides the pain, suffering, and endless medical expenses. With so much on plate, the last thing you want to do is to spend hours on Google finding a law firm to handle your claim. However, hiring an attorney could help simplify your life, letting you hand over the reins of your personal injury case so you can get back to focusing on your recovery. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, Inc. we strive to make proceedings as straightforward and stress-free as possible for our clients and their families. Not only will you have a direct line of communication to our legal team, but we can also work around your schedule, meeting you wherever suits you best. Here are a few more reasons why our lawyers stand out from the rest:
- Experience Handling Similar Cases: Personal injury law encompasses a wide range of different cases, from dog bites to medical malpractice to truck accidents. In order to build up the knowledge and experience required to help their clients obtain a fair settlement, many attorneys choose to focus on just one specific type of claim. For example, a law firm may specialize primarily in handling truck accident cases. As such, if you want to file a personal injury claim, you should make sure that the attorney you’re hiring has experience handling similar cases to your own. Our legal team has decades of combined experience overseeing a variety of different cases, including road accident claims. Whether you were hurt in a collision or injured in a slip and fall, we have the knowledge and resources necessary to help you fight for a fair settlement.
- Seasoned Litigators: Most claims never see the inside of the courtroom, but that doesn’t mean you won’t benefit from hiring an attorney with litigation experience. If the insurance company is aware that you have a seasoned litigator by your side, they may be less likely to challenge your case as you’ve demonstrated that you’re taking your claim seriously. Alternatively, if opposing parties refuse to agree to a fair settlement, you can have peace of mind that your lawyer is ready and willing to represent your best interests in court.
- Honest Approach: There are some lawyers who will guarantee you a successful outcome, overlooking weak links in your case just to make sure you sign on the dotted line. In the moment, you’ll feel confident and relieved, but when your case starts to unravel during settlement negotiations, that moment of respite could turn into years of regret. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, our attorneys will give you an honest assessment of your case, providing you with valuable insight into its potential strengths and weaknesses. Additionally, we can help you take steps to overcome potential disputes such as gathering evidence to prove liability, causation, and damages and/or consulting with expert witnesses.
Contact Us Today to Speak with a Bicycle Accident Attorney in Dana Point
Whether you were injured in a collision or lost a loved one to a bicycle accident, our attorneys are here to help. We have decades of combined experience handling a wide range of different claims, and we want to put our extensive knowledge and expertise to work for you. To get started, call 1-800-GO-HARRIS or visit our Contact Page. The initial consultation is free.