Visalia Wrongful Death Attorneys
Visalia Wrongful Death Attorneys
The loss of a loved one changes your life, and no amount of compensation can bring your deceased family member back. Nonetheless, our attorneys are here to help you navigate this difficult time, to get back on your feet, and to handle any resulting legal claims so that you can properly grieve.
What is a Wrongful Death Claim?
Wrongful death claims compensate bereaved family members when someone else’s negligence results in an untimely death. In California, the personal representative of the deceased’s estate, or various parties who stand to inherit the deceased’s property if he or she passed away “intestate” (without a will), can file a wrongful death claim in our State. A wrongful death lawsuit provides an avenue for family members to recover some of the expenses necessary to handle the administration of a loved one’s estate, like paying for funeral bills, paying off debt, and otherwise getting back on their feet financially.
What Do Wrongful Death Lawyers Do?
Wrongful death lawyers help bereaved family members gather evidence and present a claim to an insurance adjuster and, when necessary, a judge or jury to ask for compensation for a loss. When we meet with you, we will advise you as to whether you have a case, what type of compensation you can pursue, and how pursuing a claim can help you. Gathering Evidence In seeking compensation for your claim, our attorneys can help you collect and present critical evidence to support your case. This may come in the form of medical records, a coroner’s report, eyewitness accounts, or official accident reports. Preserving Your Claim by Handling Correspondence It should be up to you – not the other party – to determine whether (and how) you want to proceed with your case. In communicating with insurance adjusters, it’s not uncommon for claimants to inadvertently make claims that harm their chances of recovery. For instance, you may admit fault or overlook valuable evidence that can bolster your claim and earn you a higher settlement amount. Our experienced lawyers will help you avoid these mistakes so that you can keep your claim intact.
What Damages Are Available in a Wrongful Death Case?
Compensation for wrongful death will vary based on the unique circumstances of your case. Generally, you may be able to recover compensatory damages and exemplary damages.
- Compensatory damages cover both economic and non-economic losses. An example of an economic loss is lost income, property damage, and medical expenses, while a non-economic injury would involve emotional trauma, distress, and pain and suffering.
- Exemplary damages, also known as “punitive damages,” are applied in a few unique circumstances in which the other party’s conduct was extremely negligent or egregious. An exemplary damages award tends to be discretionary and is not available in every case.
Our Wrongful Death Lawyers Offer Free Case Consultations Daily
The attorneys at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers have a history of representing the family members of wrongful death victims. When you meet with us, we will ask you a series of questions to determine whether you have grounds to bring a wrongful death claim and if so, how to proceed. Some of these questions might include:
- How did the accident happen?
- Did your loved one receive any medical treatment between the accident and his or her death?
- Have you gathered any evidence to support your claim?
- Have you spoken with the opposing party or his insurance company?
- Have you saved or recorded any of your conversations with the other parties or with eyewitnesses?
- Did you speak with anyone else about the accident or the circumstances surrounding it?
Our compassionate attorneys can take over the logistics of your case so that you can properly grieve. To schedule a free case consultation with us, we welcome you to send us a message online or to call our 24-hour phone line at 1-800-GO-HARRIS. If you are unable to travel to our Visalia office for a consultation, we will come to you.