Visalia Personal Injury Lawyers | Accident Attorneys
Visalia Train Accident Attorneys
At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, our Visalia train accident attorneys know how devastating your injuries can be. Throughout the years, we have won more than $300 million in personal injury and wrongful death cases, a large portion of which has been in train accident cases. To speak to a member of our team, get started by giving us a call at 1-800-GO-HARRIS. If you are unable to travel due to your injuries, we will come to you.
Common Causes of Train Accidents in Visalia
At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, our team will thoroughly investigate your case to determine the underlying cause of the wreck. Our Visalia train accident attorneys have discovered that some of the most common causes of collisions involve some combination of the following factors:
- Distracted driving
- Impaired driving
- Failure to keep a lookout or to check blind spots
- Defective parts
- Mechanical failures
Who is Liable for a Train Accident?
Many different parties may be liable for a train accident. By identifying the responsible party, we can work more directly toward pursuing compensation for your injuries.
Some examples of liable parties in a train wreck include:
- The business that owns and operates the train
- The business that owns and operates the tracks
- The business responsible for the maintenance of the train or tracks
- The business that manufactured, distributed, or sold any defective train or track parts
- Motorists or individuals trespassing on the tracks or railroad property
- The conductor or operator
Steps to Take after A Train Accident
No matter who is liable for your injuries, it is imperative to take steps after a train accident to preserve your claim. In addition to presenting photos of your injuries and the accident scene, you should provide your personal injury lawyer with other bits of evidence, including the following:
- Medical Records: A personal injury lawyer will package this information for an insurance adjuster as soon as possible. Your medical file will help your attorney fight any argument by an insurer that something – or someone – else caused your injuries.
- Correspondence: As soon as you engage your attorney, forward any correspondence you’ve had with insurance adjusters or other parties.
- An Injury Journal: Keep a daily record of your symptoms, noting their frequency and severity. Also record whether you’ve experienced any adverse side effects from medications and how your injuries and treatment schedule have impacted your life, work, and relationships.
Recovering Compensation for Your Injuries
The expenses stemming from a personal injury can be stressful and overwhelming. However, through a valid legal claim, you can seek to recoup some or all of your accident-related expenses. These expenses are called “economic damages,” those that you can quantify by producing copies of bills, receipts, and pay stubs.
Examples of economic damages include reimbursement for:
- Medical bills related to the accident
- Lost income
- Reduced earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Permanent physical limitations
In some cases, you may be able to pursue exemplary, or “punitive,” damages. These types of damages are applied in a few unique circumstances in which the other party’s conduct was extremely negligent or egregious. An exemplary damages award tends to be discretionary, and your attorney will help you determine whether it’s worth pursuing one in your case.
Discuss Your Case with a Train Accident Attorney
At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, our legal team will handle each step of your train accident case, from gathering evidence to negotiating with an insurance carrier on your behalf.
Call our 24-hour phone line at 1-800-GO-HARRIS or send us a message to schedule a complimentary case review.