Brain injury victims can pursue both economic and non-economic damages from the at-fault party. In addition to medical bills, you might be entitled to compensation for pain and suffering, lost enjoyment in life, lost income, lost earning capacity, domestic help, and other reasonable and necessary costs.
Our attorneys have extensive experience in brain injury cases and can help you fight for the highest settlement possible. For a free consultation, call us today at 1-800-GO-HARRIS.
Types of Cases Our Los Angeles Brain Injury Lawyers Handle
There are several key differences between personal injury cases involving catastrophic injuries and those that involve minor trauma. Brain injury victims tend to incur substantial damages, so insurance companies tend to invest considerable resources into fighting these claims.
At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we know what it takes to achieve successful outcomes in brain injury cases. We have the experience and resources to take on even the largest insurance companies.
Our attorneys accept brain injury cases involving:
- Auto Accidents
- Rideshare Accidents
- Semi-Truck Accidents
- Bus Accidents
- Train Accidents
- Boat Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Bike Accidents
- Airplane Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Scooter Accidents
- Turo Accidents
- Slip and Falls
- Other Accident Scenarios
Damages in Brain Injury Cases
Brain injury victims may be entitled to compensation for any economic and non-economic damages they’ve already incurred, as well as the damages they’re reasonably certain to incur in the future.
Depending on the circumstances, you may be able to include the following damages in the settlement calculations:
- Medical Bills: Any past and future healthcare costs related to the brain injury can be included in your claim. These may encompass emergency care, surgeries, medical monitoring, and rehabilitation.
- Lost Wages: It’s not uncommon for brain injury victims to take several weeks or even months off work to heal. Any income you lost during that time can be included in your claim.
- Loss of Future Earnings: If you’re not expected to make a full recovery or if it’s going to take a considerable amount of time for you to return to work, you may be entitled to compensation for loss of future earnings. Proving these damages often requires the testimony of an economic expert. Fortunately, our Los Angeles brain injury lawyers have access to several well-credentialed financial specialists who can provide testimony regarding how the injury will affect your income-earning potential.
- Property Damage: If your property was damaged in the accident that caused your brain injury, your claim can account for the cost to repair or replace it.
- Other Economic Damages: Other kinds of economic damages that might be recoverable include domestic help, transportation, childcare, and home and vehicle modifications.
- Pain and Suffering: Brain trauma is often accompanied by chronic headaches, incontinence, and other symptoms that cause immense pain and suffering.
- Hedonic Damages: If the injury has affected your quality of life—for example, by preventing you from enjoying favorite hobbies or social activities—you might be entitled to hedonic damages.
Depending on the cause of the brain injury, punitive damages may also be warranted. These damages are only available if the defendant acted with malice, oppression, or fraud. Examples of cases when punitive damages might be warranted include drunk driving accidents and violent attacks.
It may also be possible for the spouse or registered domestic partner of the injured person to bring a claim for loss of consortium, which is the loss of moral support, intimacy, protection, care, comfort, companionship, and affection.
We Work with an Extensive Network of Medical Experts
Due to the complexity of brain injuries, it’s often necessary to bring in medical experts to provide testimony.
Our Los Angeles brain injury attorneys work closely with a network of medical specialists including:
- Occupational therapists
- Respiratory therapists
- Cognitive therapists
- Physical therapists
- Lifecare planners
Discuss Your Claim with a Brain Injury Attorney in Los Angeles: Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS
The process of filing a personal injury claim is riddled with legal hurdles that can be difficult to overcome without the help of a highly skilled and experienced brain injury lawyer. Our attorneys have a track record of success in these cases, and they know what it takes to win substantial settlements and verdicts.
We will come to you if you’re unable to come to us. To schedule a free initial consultation, call our 24/7 phone line at 1-800-GO-HARRIS or send us a message on our Online Contact Form.