Costa Mesa Personal Injury Attorneys | Accident Lawyers
Costa Mesa Bicycle Accident Attorneys
California has a reputation for accommodating cyclists, but serious accidents still happen, and they often result in devastating injuries. If you were harmed in such a crash, you may be dealing with painful injuries and emotional trauma in addition to steep medical bills and lost income. Our bicycle accident attorneys in Costa Mesa can help you seek compensation for any economic and non-economic damages you have incurred.
What sets us apart is the tireless dedication we bring to each and every case. We prepare for settlement negotiations as if we are heading to trial. We won’t accept a settlement that’s less than you deserve, and we will relish the opportunity to take your case to court if needed. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS to discuss your claim with a member of our team in a free consultation.
Can I Pursue Punitive Damages After a Bicycle Accident?
Maybe. In order to win a punitive award, you must prove that the defendant acted with malice, oppression, or fraud. The most common basis for seeking punitive damages in a bicycle accident case is malice, which is despicable conduct that involves a conscious or willful disregard for other people’s safety or rights, or intentional harm.
Choosing to drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol is a common example of malice. Hitting a person and then fleeing the scene may also constitute malice.
In rare cases, a bicycle accident victim can pursue punitive damages on the basis of fraud, which is a defendant’s intentional misrepresentation, deception, or concealment of a material fact that was known to the defendant and related to the harm caused. For instance, if you were hit by a truck driver and the motor carrier altered the driving logs to cover up evidence of negligence, this may constitute fraud and warrant punitive damages.
Punitive damages are not recoverable against a government entity. That means if your accident was caused by negligent road design or maintenance, or by the negligence of a government employee acting in the course and scope of their employment, it is unlikely that punitive damages would be recoverable. One of our Costa Mesa bicycle accident lawyers can review your case for free to determine if punitive damages might be available.
We Have Decades of Experience Representing Bicycle Accident Victims and Their Families
The importance of hiring a bicycle accident attorney with the right experience cannot be overstated. Lawyers who do not have a history of success in cases like yours could end up making a critical mistake that leads to protracted litigation or prevents you from recovering the highest possible payout.
The attorneys at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers have many decades of combined experience representing bicycle accident victims and their families. Below are a few benefits of working with one of our seasoned litigators:
- Able to Anticipate Disputes: The insurance adjuster will be looking for reasons to dispute your claim. At the end of the day, their goal will be to pay you as little as possible. They might assert that you were partially responsible for the crash or that your injuries aren’t that serious. A skilled attorney will be able to identify the disputes that are most likely to arise and can prepare to counter them.
- Knows the Kinds of Evidence to Compile: Leaving out just one piece of critical evidence could be all it takes for the claims adjuster to dispute your case. A well-credentialed attorney won’t overlook important evidence.
- Understands the Most Effective Settlement Negotiation Strategies: A seasoned attorney will know how to tailor their settlement negotiation strategies to the unique circumstances of your claim.
- Knows How to Get the Most Value out of Expert Witness Deposition: If your case proceeds to discovery, your attorney and the legal team of the defense might depose medical, financial, vocational, and accident, reconstruction experts. It is important that you hire an attorney who has extensive experience in litigating bicycle accident cases. Such a lawyer will know the kinds of experts to depose and how to get the most value out of their deposition.
- Has Confidence Proceeding to Litigation: A skilled trial attorney won’t be afraid to file a lawsuit and proceed to litigation. Sometimes just having a confident litigator by your side can give the insurance company more motivation to cooperate and pay a fair settlement.
Set up a Free Consultation with a Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Costa Mesa
If you’ve been injured in a bicycle crash, you probably have a lot of questions about your case. During your free consultation, a member of our team can provide the answers you seek and help you plot the way forward.
Insurance companies can be unscrupulous when it comes to denying and undervaluing accident claims. Our attorneys won’t let the insurance adjuster take advantage of you. To schedule a free case evaluation, call 1-800-GO-HARRIS or send us a message on our Contact Page.