Costa Mesa Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
Costa Mesa Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
If you were struck by a motor vehicle or lost a family member as a result of a pedestrian accident, you may be entitled to compensation. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we are committed to protecting the rights of victims. Our skilled litigators have decades of experience negotiating with insurance companies in California. To speak with a pedestrian accident attorney in Costa Mesa, call 1-800-GO-HARRIS.
Time Is of the Essence After a Pedestrian Accident
It is very common for pedestrian accident victims to make mistakes that harm their cases. Examples include providing a recorded statement to the insurer or discussing the incident on social media. One of the worst mistakes you can make after a personal injury or wrongful death is waiting too long to take action. Read on to learn a few reasons to schedule your free consultation with a Costa Mesa pedestrian accident lawyer right away:
- Your Own Statements Could Harm Your Case: Your attorney can handle all correspondence with the claims adjuster on your behalf so you don’t have to provide a statement. It is likely that the insurer will want a statement shortly after the collision. The adjuster will want to find out whether there are any weaknesses in your case that would allow them to deny your claim or reduce its value. If you say something that brings liability, causation, or damages into question, you might face a dispute that extends the duration of the proceedings or reduces your recovery. This will be far less likely to happen if your attorney handles all correspondence with the insurer.
- You Must Take Steps to Strengthen Your Claim: You might think the outcome of your claim is entirely out of your control, but there are steps you can take that might strengthen your case. An attorney can explain these steps and help you make informed decisions throughout the proceedings. For instance, you should visit a doctor immediately for a medical evaluation if you have not done so already. This could prevent the opposing party from asserting that your injuries are not that severe, they were caused by something else, or you have failed to mitigate your damages. You should also follow your doctor’s orders, track your damages, and keep a personal injury journal.
- A Small Mistake Could Jeopardize Your Case: No matter how confident you are in the strength of your claim, you could still end up making a mistake that delays the proceedings or reduces the final settlement or verdict. Your attorney can explain the mistakes that would harm your case and help you avoid them. For instance, simply posting a photo of you out with friends could be enough to bring the severity of your injuries into question. You could also face a dispute if you return to work or strenuous activities too early against your doctor’s orders.
- Valuable Evidence Might Not Be Available Indefinitely: Key evidence to support your claim might be inaccessible within just a few days of the accident. Video footage may be overwritten, for example, and vehicle damage might be repaired before it can be analyzed.
At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we keep our phoneline open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week so our attorneys are able to investigate cases right away. You won’t have to wait several days for your free consultation; in fact, a member of our team will come to you if you are unable to come to us.
Damages in Pedestrian Accident Claims
Pedestrian accident victims have the right to pursue the same compensatory damages as people who are tortuously injured in other accident scenarios. This includes both economic and non-economic damages. While economic damages are awarded to pay for objectively verifiable losses, non-economic damages compensate plaintiffs for subjective losses such as pain and suffering. After a pedestrian injury in Costa Mesa, the following damages may be obtainable:
- Medical expenses,
- Lost income (past and future),
- Property repairs,
- Loss of consortium,
- Emotional distress,
- Loss of enjoyment of life, and
- Pain and suffering.
There are some scenarios when punitive damages can be awarded in addition to compensatory damages. If the driver who hit you was behaving maliciously, a punitive award might be obtainable. For example, your attorney might suggest pursuing punitive damages if the driver was drunk, high on drugs, or acting with intent to harm.
Discuss Your Case with a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Costa Mesa
Our pedestrian accident attorneys are ready to protect your legal rights and to help you fight for the compensation you deserve. Every case we take is a top priority. We will devote the time and resources needed to ensure your case is as strong as possible before we enter settlement negotiations. If the opposing party refuses to settle, we are not afraid to proceed to litigation. For a free consultation, call us today at 1-800-GO-HARRIS or send us a message HERE.