Costa Mesa Personal Injury Attorneys | Accident Lawyers
Costa Mesa Wrongful Death Attorneys
Even the most responsible and diligent people can find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe they encounter an intoxicated motorist while driving, or perhaps they slip and fall on a freshly mopped floor that didn’t have adequate warning signage. Sometimes these accidents result in minor injuries; other times, the outcome is fatal. If a member of your family has died in an accident that someone else caused, contact our Costa Mesa wrongful death attorneys to discuss your case.
You may be entitled to compensation for loss of financial contributions, funeral and burial costs, and other economic and non-economic damages. Insurance companies often undervalue these claims, but our lawyers can help you pursue the full compensation you deserve. For a free case review, call us today at 1-800-GO-HARRIS.
How Much Is My Family’s Wrongful Death Case Worth?
There are many factors that can influence the potential value of a wrongful death claim. Our lawyers have many decades of experience handling these cases, so we can approximate a fair settlement amount based on your unique circumstances.
The list below outlines a few of the factors that may affect the value of your claim:
- Whether You Can Bring a Survival Action: A survival action is not always warranted after a wrongful death. These actions are brought to pursue damages the deceased incurred between the fatal accident and the death. They are often combined with wrongful death claims and brought to court together. Recoverable damages may include income lost before the death, medical bills arising from the fatal accident, and property damage.
- The Value of Lost Financial Contributions: What is the value of the financial contributions your loved one would have provided? The answer to this question can vary dramatically from one wrongful death case to the next. It will depend on the deceased’s career trajectory, benefits, and wages before passing.
- The Deceased’s Age at the Time of Death: Another factor that can influence the value of lost financial contributions is the deceased’s age. This will be considered when determining how many years they would have likely continued working. Your family member’s health and fitness may also be considered, and their life expectancy could limit the potential value of your claim.
- The Cost of Funeral and Burial Expenses: You can pursue compensation for reasonable funeral and burial costs.
- Your Relationship to the Deceased: The kinds of damages that may be recovered by specific family members will depend on their relationship to the deceased. For instance, a surviving spouse may be entitled to compensation for loss of sexual relations while heirs may be compensated for loss of advice, assistance, love, training, and protection.
- Whether Punitive Damages Are Warranted: Did your family member survive temporarily after the accident? Was their property damaged while they were still alive? Was the death the result of an intentional killing that led to a felony conviction? If your answer to any of these questions is “yes,” it may be possible to recover punitive damages.
Our wrongful death lawyers in Costa Mesa have extensive experience calculating damages in these cases. We always base our calculations on relevant statutes and case law in order to minimize the likelihood of a dispute without accepting an unfair payout. If necessary, we will bring in medical, financial, and vocational experts to assist with the settlement calculations and to provide deposition.
How Soon Should I Contact an Attorney After a Wrongful Death?
The sudden death of a family member is a tragedy like no other. When faced with such a traumatic event, it can be difficult to focus on anything other than your grief. If you believe your family member was a victim of wrongful death, the thought of entering into complicated legal proceedings can be overwhelming. But if too much time passes before your Costa Mesa wrongful death lawyer can investigate the accident, essential evidence might become unavailable. It is also possible that you will make an inadvertent mistake that jeopardizes your case.
To protect your claim, you should speak with an attorney as soon as possible. Your lawyer can handle all the logistics of your case—including all correspondence with the insurance company—so you can focus on your family and managing the estate. Our attorneys will keep you updated through every stage of the proceedings, and we will be just a phone call away if you ever have questions.
Contact Us Today at 1-800-GO-HARRIS to Speak with a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Costa Mesa
At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we have extensive experience representing clients who are dealing with the emotional and financial consequences of a wrongful death in the family. We will provide compassionate and aggressive representation from the moment you hire our team to the day your case is resolved. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS or message us online to set up a free consultation.