Mission Viejo Truck Accident Attorneys
Mission Viejo Truck Accident Attorneys
It goes without saying that there's a high demand for the transport of goods throughout California. With that demand comes an inordinate number of large commercial vehicles on the road. If you or someone you love was involved in a collision with a big rig, it may be possible to hold the at-fault driver, their employer, or another party liable for damages. Our truck accident attorneys in Mission Viejo can serve as your legal advocate throughout the claims process. Don’t let the insurance company take advantage of you. With one of our seasoned litigators by your side, you can rest assured that the opposing party won’t get away with behaving unethically. We know the relevant case law and statutes inside and out, and we are not afraid to go all the way to trial if it is in your best interests to do so. You can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by calling 1-800-GO-HARRIS. The consultation is free.
How to Prepare for Your Free Consultation with a Truck Accident Attorney
It is important that you take certain steps to prepare for the initial consultation so this meeting is as productive as possible. Your first priority is to undergo a medical evaluation. This should happen within 48 hours of the crash but preferably after you leave the scene. The sooner you visit a doctor, the less likely the opposing party may be to argue that your injuries aren’t that serious, they were caused by something else, or your own negligence has caused them to worsen. Once you’ve been officially diagnosed, the next step is to set up a free consultation. After calling our law firm, take a few moments to compile the evidence and documents that are already in your possession; however, do not put off the case evaluation just so you can gather documents. Speaking to an attorney right away is critical since valuable evidence might only be available for a few days. It is even possible that the defendant will alter or destroy certain records to cover up negligence. Here are a few items you should bring to the consultation if they are available:
- A Description of What Happened: A written description can help you recall important details about the accident. Leaving out just one key fact could adversely impact the subsequent investigation.
- Pictures of the Scene: Photos of property damage, skid marks, the weather conditions, and injuries can provide valuable insight into how the crash happened and may be useful for proving the extent of the resulting damages.
- Medical Records: Documentation from your healthcare team can help your Mission Viejo truck accident lawyer understand your diagnosis and prognosis. This will provide a good starting point for calculating your damages, and it can help your lawyer determine when you might reach maximum medical improvement.
- Financial Records: You will need financial documentation if you intend to seek compensation for lost wages and/or loss of future earnings.
- Contact Information of Relevant Parties: There are many parties your legal team may want to interview during the investigation or depose should your case proceed to discovery. Those parties include your healthcare providers, eyewitnesses, and the parties involved in the collision. If you have their contact information, bring it with you to the initial consultation.
- Insurance Information of the At-Fault Driver: Your attorney will need this information to bring the claim.
- Your Own Insurance Policies: If it turns out that the at-fault driver was uninsured or underinsured, it may be necessary to bring a claim against your own insurance provider. Your Mission Viejo truck accident attorney will, therefore, want to assess your insurance policies in order to identify all potential avenues for pursuing compensation.
What Does “Vicarious Liability” Mean?
In truck accident cases, it is often possible to hold the employer of a negligent truck driver vicariously liable for the resulting damages. As long as the person who caused the accident was acting within the scope and course of their employment when the crash occurred, vicarious liability may apply to your case.
What Is “Maximum Medical Improvement?”
Once your injury has healed to a point where doctors no longer expect your condition to improve, you will have reached maximum medical improvement. This milestone in recovery is relevant in personal injury cases since attorneys sometimes advise their clients to wait until they’ve reached MMI before entering settlement negotiations so the damages calculations are as accurate as possible.
Set up a Free Consultation with a Truck Accident Lawyer in Mission Viejo
At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we have the resources to take on even the largest motor carriers. We have won substantial settlements and verdicts in truck accident cases. Thousands of clients have turned to us for representation, yet we remain dedicated to offering the personalized legal services of a local practice. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS or message us online to set up a free case review.