Moreno Valley Wrongful Death Attorneys
Moreno Valley Wrongful Death Attorneys
Nothing can undo the pain of losing a loved one, but by bringing a claim against the liable party, your family may be able to obtain the compensation needed to maintain financial security. Our wrongful death attorneys in Moreno Valley are here to help you navigate the proceedings and fight for the settlement you deserve. We understand the grief you are experiencing, and we will do everything in our power to make the claims process as stress-free as possible. There's no cost for the consultation, and we accept wrongful death cases on a contingency fee basis. Dial 1-800-GO-HARRIS to arrange a free, no-obligation consultation.
What Can I Do to Strengthen My Family’s Wrongful Death Claim?Although the outcome of your claim is somewhat out of your control, there are certain steps you can take that might put you in a favorable position to prevail. It is important to remember that your statements and actions following your loved one’s passing could have a major impact on the proceedings, so you must be careful about what you say and do while your case is pending. Here are just a few measures that might improve your chances of winning a settlement:
- Contact a Wrongful Death Attorney Right Away: Although your lawyer won’t be able to guarantee a particular outcome for your case, your legal team can conduct a thorough investigation while essential evidence is still available. It’s certainly not unheard of for evidence to be altered or destroyed to cover up negligence or intentional wrongdoing, so your attorney will want to perform the investigation immediately. Also, your lawyer can explain the mistakes you must avoid throughout the proceedings to protect your case, and the sooner you get this advice, the less likely you will be to make a critical error that jeopardizes your claim.
- Avoid Speaking to the Insurance Company: Most wrongful death claims are brought against the insurance company of the liable party. Insurance carriers are not in the business of paying out compensation unless they absolutely have to. One of the many strategies they use to deny and undervalue claims is to get recorded statements from the parties involved in the action. To avoid providing statements that harm your claim, you should let your Moreno Valley wrongful death lawyer handle all correspondence with the insurance adjuster. Since you may be contacted by the insurer within just a few days of the death, you should hire an attorney immediately.
- Do Not Discuss the Matter Online: Social media websites are another source of evidence used by insurance companies to dispute personal injury and wrongful death claims. While it might seem unthinkable that posts about your deceased family member could harm your case, this is something you must consider. At the very least, you should not discuss the circumstances that caused your loved one’s death. Your Moreno Valley wrongful death lawyer can provide more detailed advice on how to safely use social media while your case is pending.
- Keep a Journal: There are many kinds of economic and non-economic damages that may be recoverable after a wrongful death in the family. While the direct financial losses may be proven using invoices and receipts, your lawyer will have to rely on other evidence to prove the extent of non-economic damages such as loss of assistance, protection, love, advice, training, and intimacy. Your personal journal about how the death is impacting your life may help your attorney build a more compelling claim for non-economic damages.
How Can a Wrongful Death Attorney Assist with My Case?Enlisting the help of a well-credentialed attorney is one of the smartest steps you can take after a wrongful death in the family. Even if the insurance company is willing to offer a settlement, there’s no guarantee that the initial offer will include all the damages your family deserves. A seasoned lawyer can help you approximate a reasonable settlement amount and make sure you are treated fairly. Below are just a few ways an attorney can assist with your case:
- By gathering evidence of liability, causation, and damages;
- By explaining the mistakes you must avoid to protect your claim;
- By estimating a fair settlement figure;
- By taking over all correspondence with the insurer;
- By identifying all liable parties;
- By determining all potential avenues for pursuing compensation;
- By helping you meet important deadlines; and
- By litigating your case if the opposing party refuses to cooperate.
Set up a Free Case Review with a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Moreno ValleyAt Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we accept wrongful death cases involving motor-vehicle collisions, premises liability, and a wide range of other accidents. If a member of your family died through the fault of another party, we want to help you fight for the compensation you deserve. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS or message us HERE to set up a free case evaluation.