San Pedro Wrongful Death Attorneys
There is no monetary figure that can ever fill the void left by a loved one’s death. Nonetheless, personal tragedies can be stressful in many ways, including financially. A wrongful death lawsuit is a way to compensate bereaved family members when someone else’s negligence results in a loved one’s untimely death. The law is constructed to bring financial support to families in these situations.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
In California, the personal representative of the deceased’s estate, or various parties who stand to inherit the deceased’s property if the deceased passed without a will, can bring a wrongful death claim. For instance, the decedent’s surviving spouse would have a right to file a wrongful death action. If the deceased was not married, then his or her children could bring the claim, then stepchildren, minors who lived with him or her for at least half a year, and the deceased’s parents, siblings and their children, grandparents, and next of kin.
What Types of Wrongful Death Cases Do We Handle?
Our wrongful death practice group handles the following types of wrongful death claims in our State:
- Car, truck, bicycle, and motorcycle accidents
- Accidents involving rideshare vehicles
- Turo accidents
- Scooter accidents
- Boating accidents
- Train accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Aircraft accidents
- Bus accidents
- Premises liability cases resulting in wrongful death
- Other types of wrongful death cases
What Damages Are Available in a Wrongful Death Case?
Your compensation in a wrongful death case will vary based on the circumstances. Generally, you may be able to recover compensatory damages and exemplary damages.
- Compensatory damages cover both economic and non-economic losses. An example of an economic loss is lost income, property damage, and medical expenses, while a non-economic injury would involve emotional trauma, distress, and pain and suffering.
- Exemplary damages, also known as “punitive damages,” are applied in a few unique circumstances in which the other party’s conduct was extremely negligent or egregious. An exemplary damages award tends to be discretionary.
Our Wrongful Death Lawyers Offer Free Case Consultations Daily. Call Us.
The attorneys at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers have a history of representing the family members of wrongful death victims. When you meet with us, we will ask you a series of questions to determine whether you have grounds to bring a wrongful death claim and if so, how to proceed. If it turns out you have a valid case (or at least the grounds to bring one), we will take over the logistics so that you can focus on healing and properly grieving. We will do all we can do alleviate your stress and help you recover the compensation you need to get back on your feet.
To schedule a free case consultation with us, we welcome you to send us a message online or to call our 24-hour phone line at 1-800-GO-HARRIS. If you cannot make it to our office, we will come to you. We look forward to serving you and helping you navigate this difficult time.