Santa Maria Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Southern California’s pristine weather offers plenty of incentive to cruise on two wheels instead of four. But even the most responsible cyclists take a risk every time they ride. If you or someone you love was injured while biking, our Santa Maria bicycle accident lawyers can evaluate your case for free and help you determine the most strategic way to pursue compensation for healthcare bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and other damages.
We’ve won hundreds of millions of dollars for clients in personal injury and wrongful death cases, yet we remain committed to providing the personalized legal services you would expect from a small, local law firm. Your attorney will be readily accessible when you have questions and will invest the time and resources needed to fight for the highest settlement possible.
We will come to you if you cannot come to us. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS today to set up a free consultation.
What Can I Do to Strengthen My Bicycle Accident Claim?
In a perfect world, personal injury victims would be fairly compensated for their damages without having to fight an uphill legal battle. Unfortunately, the claims process is adversarial, and insurance adjusters use all sorts of tactics to deny claims and reduce their value. Below are a few strategies that may help you avoid a dispute and strengthen your case:
- Gather and Preserve Evidence: Hopefully, you were able to gather evidence at the scene such as the contact and insurance information of all drivers involved, the contact details of eyewitnesses, and photos and videos of property damage and injuries. There may be other evidence that is time sensitive, such as surveillance or dashcam footage, which your Santa Maria bicycle accident attorney can help you obtain. Once you’ve left the scene, store all the evidence in a safe place including your bicycle, helmet, and the clothes you were wearing at the time of the crash. If a dispute arises, your lawyer might use damaged property and bloodied clothing to demonstrate the force of the impact and to prove causation and the severity of your injuries.
- Seek Immediate Medical Care: Getting a prompt diagnosis is one of the smartest steps you can take to protect your claim. The insurance company won’t pay for medical bills unless you have official documentation to prove the types of injuries you sustained and the cost of care. It’s important that you visit a doctor as soon as possible because if you delay, the insurer might contend that your injuries were not caused by the accident, or that they couldn’t be severe as you’re claiming since immediate medical attention wasn’t necessary.
- Follow Your Doctor’s Instructions: Even if you underwent a medical evaluation right away, you might still face a dispute if you don’t follow the instructions of your healthcare team. The insurance adjuster may search for evidence to prove that you’ve failed to mitigate your damages, which could greatly reduce your financial award. It’s important that you take the necessary steps to facilitate your recovery such as attending all scheduled doctor’s appointments, filling your prescriptions, and avoiding strenuous activity if advised to do so by your healthcare provider.
- Follow Your Attorney’s Instructions: Besides adhering to your doctor’s orders, it’s also important that you listen to your Santa Maria bicycle accident lawyer. Each case is unique, so the advice your attorney provides may be specific to your claim. Such advice may include staying off social media, directing all correspondence from the insurance company to your attorney, and tracking your damages.
- Limit Your Online Activity: If you publish something on social media or a forum that contradicts prior statements or indicates that your injuries aren’t that severe, it may be used by the insurance company as evidence to dispute your claim. It’s wise to limit your social media activity or, preferably, to disable your accounts until your case has concluded. If that’s not an option, you should still avoid discussing your injury or case online. You should also decline new connection requests and set your account settings to “private.”
- Track Your Damages: Although medical bills and lost income often account for a significant portion of economic damages, there are other costs that might be recoverable. Examples include childcare, home and vehicle modifications to accommodate disabilities, transportation, and domestic help. Be sure to keep any invoices, receipts, and other documentation of such costs so they can be included in your claim.
Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS to Speak with a Santa Maria Bicycle Accident Attorney Today
Your choice of an attorney is a major decision that could have a profound impact on your future. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we have built a reputation for providing aggressive and knowledgeable representation to accident victims and their families.
We offer free consultations. To speak with a member of our team, dial 1-800-GO-HARRIS or send us a message online.