Santa Maria Wrongful Death Attorneys
Santa Maria Wrongful Death Attorneys
Has a member of your family died due to the negligence or intentional misconduct of another party? You may be entitled to compensation for burial and funeral expenses, loss of services, loss of financial contributions, and other damages. Our wrongful death attorneys in Santa Maria can review your case for free to determine whether you have grounds for a claim and how best to approach the proceedings. We understand how traumatic the death of a loved one can be. The wound may never fully heal, but by bringing a claim against the at-fault party, you may at least be able to maintain your financial security in the wake of the loss. Our attorneys offer free initial consultations, and our phone line is open 24/7. Dial 1-800-GO-HARRIS to schedule a case evaluation with a member of our team.
Types of Wrongful Death Cases Our Lawyers Handle in Santa Maria
- Car Accidents
- Scooter, Bicycle, and Pedestrian Accidents
- Boat Accidents
- Semi-Truck Accidents
- Train Accidents
- Motorbike Accidents
- Rideshare Service Accidents
- Turo Vehicle Accidents
- Bus Accidents
- Airplane and Other Aircraft Accidents
- Premises Liability Wrongful Death Claims
- Other Wrongful Death Claims
What Can a Wrongful Death Attorney Do for Me?
After the death of a loved one, you may be questioning the need to consult an attorney. But if you intend to bring a claim, hiring a well-credentialed wrongful death lawyer in Santa Maria is the smartest step you can take to protect your case. The damages in these cases can be substantial, and with more money on the line, the insurance company will have more incentive to invest time, effort, and resources into disputing your claim. A seasoned attorney can level the playing field, ensure you are treated fairly, and aggressively fight for the highest settlement possible. Read on for a more detailed overview of how a wrongful death lawyer may be able to help:
- Gathering Evidence: Much of the evidence needed to strengthen your claim may only be available for a few days or weeks after the accident. For instance, if your loved one was killed in a motor vehicle collision, it’s possible that the crash was caught on a surveillance camera or dashcam, but it might not take long for that footage to be overwritten. A skilled wrongful death attorney will know the importance of performing an investigation and compiling evidence right away. Such an attorney will also know the types of evidence needed to give your claim the best possible chance of success. In some cases, the defendant is in possession of valuable evidence and refuses to relinquish such evidence voluntarily. For example, if your family member died due to a slip and fall, the business owner might withhold surveillance footage. Your lawyer can file subpoenas to obtain evidence that’s being withheld.
- Taking over Correspondence with the Insurance Company: The insurance company won’t pay a settlement until a thorough investigation has been conducted. This investigation will likely involve interviews with the defendant, people who were present at the time of the accident, and perhaps family members of the deceased. Anything you say during such an interview might be used to dispute your claim. In fact, it’s not uncommon for loved ones of the deceased to inadvertently provide statements that bring liability or the value of damages into question. Your attorney can prevent this from happening by taking over all dialogue with the insurer.
- Helping You Avoid Mistakes That Would Harm Your Claim: There are all sorts of mistakes a claimant can make in a wrongful death case that lead to a dispute. Besides providing a recorded statement to the insurance adjuster, other potential mistakes include posting about the accident online or accepting a settlement that doesn’t account for all recoverable damages.
- Approximating a Fair Settlement Amount: Your lawyer can conduct a detailed investigation to determine the types of damages incurred and their value. Calculating damages in a wrongful death case can be especially complicated because it’s often necessary to account for future damages such as loss of financial contributions from the deceased. These calculations may be affected by the deceased’s age, health, occupation, and expected career trajectory at the time of death. It may be necessary to bring in an economic expert to provide deposition and testimony. A well-credentialed wrongful death attorney will know how to perform these calculations and how to get the most value out of expert witness deposition.
- Litigating Your Case If Settlement Negotiations Fall Through: If a settlement cannot be reached, filing a lawsuit and entering litigation might be the smartest option. An experienced trial attorney will know how to prepare your case for court and can continue pursuing a settlement throughout the litigation process.
Dial 1-800-GO-HARRIS for a Free Consultation with a Santa Maria Wrongful Death Lawyer
If you intend to bring a claim against the party who caused your loved one’s death, turn to Harris Personal Injury Lawyers for representation. Our attorneys have won more than $300,000,000 for clients throughout California, and some of our most substantial victories were in wrongful death cases. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS or send us a message to set up a free consultation.