Villa Park Truck Accident Attorneys
Villa Park Truck Accident Attorneys
Due to their immense weight and size, trucks can cause serious damage when they collide with other vehicles. Victims often suffer catastrophic injuries and spend the rest of their lives navigating a gauntlet of complications, pain, and medical expenses. If you were injured on the road and are planning to file a claim for your losses, our Villa Park truck accident attorneys might be able to assist. We are available to take your calls 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To connect with an attorney, dial 1-800-GO-HARRIS.
Can I Use Social Media While My Truck Accident Claim Is Pending?
In the wake of a truck accident, it’s only natural to feel confused, stressed, and in desperate need of guidance and advice. Understandably, many claimants log onto social media to discuss this harrowing experience with those in their circles. While connecting with those closest to you can provide short-term relief, posting about the accident online may straddle you with long-term issues. Many insurers have made screening social media profiles a common part of their claims investigations. Any posts you publish could be used as evidence to dispute liability and damages. Here are a few more ways your online activity could compromise your claim:
- Disputes over Causation: To obtain a financial award, you must be able to connect your injuries to the truck wreck. If your social media posts make it seem as if you had a preexisting condition that was merely exacerbated by the accident, the insurer may potentially refuse to pay for procedures and other interventions you would have undergone had the accident not taken place.
- Disputes over Damages: Besides your repair bills, medical expenses, and other economic losses, you may also be able to pursue compensation for so-called intangible losses such as emotional distress, pain and suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life. Determining the value of such damages can be challenging, and your attorney might use evidence such as psychiatric records and your personal injury journal to build your case. However, your social media activity could undermine their efforts. If, for instance, you posted pictures of yourself engaging in physical activity a few days after the truck accident, the insurer could use these posts to assert that your condition is not as serious as your attorney is claiming.
- Disputes over Liability: In a personal injury case, you will need to prove that the defendant was responsible for causing the accident. While it may be clear that the other party is at fault, your posts could tell a different story. For instance, if you posted about the collision, you might inadvertently admit fault for causing the wreck or contradict other evidence in your case. These posts could give the insurer ammunition to dispute liability.
How Our Attorneys Can Assist with Your Truck Wreck Claim
If you have compelling evidence to prove liability, causation, and damages and the responsible party has admitted fault for causing the collision, you might think that hiring a lawyer is an unnecessary expense. While there are many situations where you can file a claim on your own, there are some scenarios where a seemingly simple case can turn into a back-and-forth of disputes, delays, and other complications. At HPIL, our legal team has decades of collective experience overseeing personal injury and wrongful death cases. We can help guide you through this challenging chapter of your life, discuss your options at every stage of proceedings, and represent your best interests during settlement negotiations, litigation, or trial. Below are a few more ways our attorneys might be able to assist with your claim:
- Help You Avoid Critical Mistakes: From the moment the accident happens, your actions will be put under a microscope. The insurer is likely looking for any reason to reduce or deny your claim. As such, you need to be vigilant about your actions, making sure not to do or say anything that could hurt your chances of obtaining fair compensation. Common mistakes can include posting about your injuries on social media, delaying medical treatment, going against your doctor’s orders, and failing to track your damages accurately. Our truck accident attorneys can give you advice on how to avoid these mistakes and guide you through each stage of proceedings to ensure you don’t inadvertently compromise your case. We will also oversee all dialogue with the insurer and opposing parties so you don’t have to worry about saying something that could be used against you during settlement negotiations or trial.
- Gather the Necessary Evidence: Evidence in a truck accident case isn’t just limited to your medical bills, receipts for repairs, and the official accident report. Eyewitness accounts, surveillance camera footage, and input from qualified expert witnesses such as economists and medical specialists could also play a critical role in proving liability, causation, and damages. Once our lawyers have assessed your claim, they will know which evidence still needs to be collected to build a convincing case. We can then take steps to obtain this evidence before it is erased, destroyed, or becomes unavailable.
- Estimate the Value of Your Damages: In an ideal world, estimating the value of your losses would be as simple as glancing at a few receipts. However, damages in a personal injury case often go beyond the printed page. From lost wages and home modifications to emotional distress and humiliation, there many types of losses to consider when filing a claim. Our attorneys can help estimate a reasonable amount for the damages you have incurred by analyzing the available evidence and consulting with expert witnesses. We can also help assess the insurer’s offer to determine whether it is fair.
Contact Us Today to Speak to a Villa Park Truck Accident Attorney
Were you injured in an accident involving a truck? At HPIL, we are here to help guide you through this challenging chapter of your life. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS or click HERE to book a free case review.