Slip and fall injuries send more than 1 million people to emergency rooms every year in the United States. The cost of medical care alone can easily reach tens of thousands of dollars, and many victims are unable to earn an income while they recover from broken bones, internal bleeding, brain trauma, and soft tissue damage. The Monterey slip and fall lawyers at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers understand how devastating these injuries can be, and we are here to help you pursue the compensation you need to regain your financial footing.
Our personal injury attorneys have many decades of combined experience representing clients in catastrophic injury cases. We have the resources to take on even the largest corporations and insurance companies.
To discuss your case in a free, no-obligation consultation, dial 1-800-GO-HARRIS. Our office is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to take your call.
Our Monterey Slip and Fall Lawyers Can Help You With Your Claim
Slip and fall lawsuits are often associated with spilled liquids on grocery store aisles, but there are countless scenarios that give rise to these claims. Each case is unique, so it is important that you find a Monterey slip and fall attorney with the experience to adapt his or her legal strategies to the particular facts of your situation.
At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we have handled a variety of slip and fall claims, and we know what it takes to find success in these cases.
Our attorneys provide aggressive representation in:
- Supermarket slip and fall claims;
- Claims involving slips and falls on sidewalks;
- Marina slip and fall claims;
- Boat slip and fall claims;
- Parking lot slip and fall claims;
- Apartment complex slip and fall claims;
- Weather-related slip and fall claims;
- Claims due to inadequate handrails or poor lighting; and
- Elevator and escalator slip and fall claims.
Important Evidence in Monterey Slip and Fall Cases
For your claim to be successful, it must be shown that the defendant owed you a duty of care, breached that duty of care, and the breach of duty resulted in your injury or loss. Property owners in California have a duty to keep their premises in a reasonably safe condition. If they fail to perform adequate maintenance or warn guests about hazardous conditions, they may be held liable for any damages that result.
Unfortunately, the evidence needed to prove liability and damages in a premises liability case is often time-sensitive. That means it is critical that you contact a slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible so your legal team can launch an immediate investigation.
Below are a few types of evidence that might help your attorney prove liability:
- Surveillance recordings of your accident;
- Eyewitness testimony;
- Records of past injuries that occurred on the property;
- Photographs of the hazard that caused your injuries;
- Property maintenance records; and
- The police and incident reports.
After demonstrating the defendant is liable for your damages, your slip and fall lawyer must prove the types of damages you incurred and their value.
In the state of California, personal injury claimants may be able to pursue compensation for:
- Healthcare expenses;
- Lost income and loss of future earnings;
- Home care, childcare, and other objectively verifiable costs arising from the injuries;
- Emotional distress;
- Loss of consortium;
- Loss of enjoyment in life; and
- Pain and suffering.
If the defendant’s behavior was fraudulent, oppressive, or malicious—which is rare in premises liability cases—punitive damages may also be awarded. These are intended to punish the defendant and to prevent similar misconduct in the future.
Below are a few types of evidence your Monterey slip and fall attorney might use to prove damages:
- Diagnostic imaging and other medical records;
- Photos of your injuries;
- Financial documents such as tax returns and paystubs;
- Medical, vocational, and financial expert witness testimony;
- Testimony from friends and family members detailing how the injury has affected your life; and
- Your personal journal about your injuries.
Mistakes to Avoid After a Slip and Fall
If you intend to file a personal injury claim after an accident, there are certain mistakes you must avoid to increase your chances of success.
Common examples include:
- Posting a photo of yourself on social media that undermines the severity of your injuries;
- Discussing your case on social media;
- Making a recorded statement to the claims adjuster;
- Waiting too long to speak to a Monterey slip and fall attorney;
- Not visiting a doctor; or
- Failing to follow your doctor’s instructions.
Set up a Free Consultation with One of Our Monterey Slip and Fall Lawyers
The sooner our attorneys are able to investigate your case, the more likely it will be that essential evidence can still be gathered. Time is of the essence in any personal injury claim, which is why our law firm is available to take your call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you cannot come to us, one of our attorneys will come to you. Set up a free consultation today by calling 1-800-GO-HARRIS or filling out our contact form.