Oxnard Wrongful Death Lawyers
Are you coping with the sudden loss of a relative? If you believe your loved one’s death is the result of another person or business’s negligence, we recommend contacting an Oxnard wrongful death lawyer. When another party’s carelessness, recklessness, or intentional misconduct is to blame for your relative’s death, then you and your family may have the right to pursue compensation for your economic losses and emotional injuries.
If you are interested in learning more about California’s wrongful death law and the possibility of seeking compensation, call us at 1-800-GO-HARRIS. Our Oxnard wrongful death attorneys at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers have years of experience in handling these types of claims.
We will investigate the fatal circumstances, gather evidence on your behalf, and guide you through a wrongful death insurance claim and lawsuit. Our goal will be to pursue the maximum compensation possible for your injuries. To date, we are proud to have helped more than 5,000 clients recover over $300 million in settlements and verdicts.
Call us today or contact us online to schedule your free consultation.
We Handle All Types of Fatal Accidents
Our legal team at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers is experienced in handling all types of fatal accident claims, including but not limited to:
- Auto Accidents
- Bike Accidents
- Bus Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Uber & Lyft Accidents
- Turo Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Scooter Injury Claims
- Airplane Accidents
- Boat Accidents
- Train Accidents
- Premises Liability Claims
- Slip and Falls
- Dog Bite and Animal Attacks
We Thoroughly Investigate Fatal Accidents
No matter what sort of circumstances led to your loved one’s death, whether your relative passed immediately or days, weeks, or months later, we are here to help. Our wrongful death attorneys in Oxnard will perform an independent and in-depth investigation. We will gather as much evidence as possible to determine exactly what went wrong and who was responsible. Our investigation also enables us to identify the individual or business that is liable for compensating you and your family and determine whether there is relevant insurance coverage.
California’s Wrongful Death Law: Who Can File
California’s wrongful death law is found in the Code of Civil Procedure, Sections 377.60 – 377.62. To discuss how these statutes have been interpreted and applied in court, you should speak with an experienced Oxnard wrongful death lawyer.
An important aspect of the law is in regard to who has the right to file a wrongful death lawsuit. Not just anyone can file a valid suit and pursue compensation.
Under California law, to file a wrongful death lawsuit, you must be:
- A surviving spouse, domestic partner, or putative spouse (someone who, in good faith, believed themselves to be married to the decedent);
- A surviving child, including adoptive or stepchildren, or a child or stepchild of a putative spouse;
- Someone who is a beneficiary under California law; or
- The personal representative of the decedent’s estate.
If you are unsure of whether you can file a wrongful death lawsuit after a loved one’s passing, contact us as soon as possible. We will review your right to file the claim under the law and whether you have the right to receive a portion of any wrongful death compensation.
Wrongful Death Damages
Through a wrongful death claim, be it a lawsuit or insurance claim, surviving family members can pursue compensation for:
- Funeral expenses
- Burial expenses
- Medical bills incurred between the date of the accident and the date of death
- Loss of decedent’s financial support
- Loss of decedent’s benefits, such as health insurance
- Loss of the value of decedent’s household services
- Loss of decedent’s companionship, society, support, and love
The Wrongful Death Statute of Limitations
It is important to talk with an Oxnard wrongful death attorney as soon as possible because you have a limited time to file a lawsuit. California has a two-year statute of limitation for wrongful death claims.
Let Our Oxnard Wrongful Death Lawyers Help You
Our legal team at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers can help you in a variety of ways after a fatal accident takes a loved one from you.
Our wrongful death lawyers will:
- Explain California wrongful death law, and your rights and options under the law
- Thorough investigate the cause of the fatal accident
- Identify the at-fault and liable parties for the fatal accident
- Communicate with the relevant insurer
- File a wrongful death lawsuit within two years from the date of your loved one’s death
- Participate in the discovery process
- Calculate the value of your wrongful death damages
- Negotiate a pre-trial insurance settlement
- If settlement negotiations fail; represent you at trial
Call us Today at 1-800-GO-HARRIS
When you are grieving the loss of a relative, but you believe someone else was at fault for their death, we recommend you schedule a free consultation with us at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers.