At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we help accident victims and surviving family members through Oxnard and Ventura County, CA. We understand the difficulties you face when someone else’s carelessness, recklessness, or malicious conduct causes you harm. We know how an unexpected accident can hurt your savings and financial stability. It can alter the course of your life and family forever. In our justice system, the only way to hold another person responsible for the harm they caused you in an accident is through a personal injury or wrongful death claim. Whether you pursue an insurance claim or a court verdict, you can fight to obtain compensation for your physical, emotional, and financial injuries. Our Oxnard personal injury lawyers are here to help you obtain the maximum amount of compensation possible. We will guide you through the legal and insurance claim processes, ensuring you are always aware of your rights and options. We will negotiate with the insurer or persuasively present your claim to a judge and jury. Whatever the situation, we fight for you and your family. To talk with one of our personal injury attorneys in Oxnard, call us at 1-800-GO-HARRIS. We offer free, no-risk consultations.
How Our Oxnard Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help
When you in physical and emotional pain after an accident, and you are facing thousands of dollars in medical bills, we recommend calling an experienced personal injury law firm right away. Our team at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers have decades of combined experience. We will use all of the knowledge and resources at our disposal to help you obtain the best possible outcome in your case. Some of the specific ways in which our Oxnard accident lawyers can help include:
- Our resources: To begin with, we will make sure you are receiving the best possible medical care. We want you to see the doctors and specialists you can help you heal to the greatest degree possible. We also are experienced in working with medical providers to put your bills on hold. We will help you avoid depleting your savings or being sent to collections while your case is pending. Another important resource we offer is connections with experts. Your case may benefit from the testimony of a medical, financial, vocational, or other expert witnesses, and we know how to find one.
- Calculating your damages: When you pursue compensation through an insurance claim or lawsuit, you need to know how much your claim is worth. This is difficult to know without talking with an experienced personal injury attorney in Oxnard. Our lawyers will work with you to add up your expenses and financial losses. We will also work closely with you to document your pain and suffering, which is typically a large portion of your damages.
- Our litigation experience: At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we are not afraid to go to court. We will file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit right away to show the insurer and at-fault party we are serious about your recovery. If settlement negotiations do not result in an agreement, or an insurance settlement is not possible, we are here to fight for your recovery at trial.
- Our negotiation experience: Many accident claims are resolved through insurance settlements. However, it is rarely in your best interest to accept the first settlement offer. Usually, an insurer will give a low-ball offer and hope you accept. The insurer wants to minimize their costs. Our attorneys are used to spotting low offers and negotiating for far better outcomes. We are proud to have won more than $300 million in settlements and court rulings for over 5,000 clients.
- Our reputation: Insurers and businesses in California know that our team at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers is knowledgeable, skilled, and aggressive. We have established a reputation that as a strong law firm who will always pursue the best possible recovery for our clients. We will not settle for less than what you deserve.
We Handle All Types of Accident Claims in Oxnard
- Car Accidents
- Bike Accidents
- Bus Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Uber & Lyft Accidents
- Turo Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Scooter Injury Claims
- Airplane Accidents
- Boat Accidents
- Train Accidents
- Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) Claims
- Severe Burn Injury Claims
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) Claims
- Premises Liability Claims
- Slip and Falls
- Dog Bite and Animal Attacks
- Other Personal Injury Claims
- Wrongful Death Claims
What Can I Do to Strengthen My Personal Injury Claim?
Filing a claim after sustaining a personal injury is far from a simple process. You can expect the insurer to search for any reason to deny your claim or reduce your eventual settlement amount. While you may have strong evidence to support your case, you could still make mistakes before and after filing your claim that will sink your chances of a successful recovery. Let’s take a look at a few ways you can strengthen your personal injury claim:
- Collect Evidence: Some evidence that seems insignificant could go on to play a pivotal role in proving liability, causation, or damages. For example, if you were involved in a slip and fall accident, it is advised that you preserve your shoes. The insurer may argue that you were not wearing appropriate footwear, and preserving this evidence may help your Oxnard personal injury lawyer counter their defense. You should contact an attorney as soon as possible after the incident, preferably immediately after you’ve attended a medical evaluation, so your lawyer can explain the kinds of evidence that might contribute to your case.
- Seek Medical Treatment: Delaying a medical evaluation after an accident could impact your ability to recover fair compensation. First, you need medical records documenting the severity of your injuries, recommended treatments, and other information about your condition to help prove damages. Second, visiting your doctor as soon as possible will leave less room for disputes regarding the mitigation of damages. Drag your heels before seeking medical treatment and the insurer may argue that you have not taken reasonable steps to minimize your damages, or that your injuries are not very serious. The insurer may also assert that your injuries stem from a separate incident.
- Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer: A lawyer can help you navigate through the difficult claims process and provide the guidance you need to avoid mistakes that could lead to disputes, delays, and other complications. While a personal injury case can take time to resolve, much of the evidence needed to strengthen your claim might only be available for a few days or weeks after the accident. The sooner you contact an attorney, the sooner he or she can begin collecting this evidence.
- Avoid Social Media: The last thing you want to do is give the insurance company more evidence to use against your claim. And that’s exactly what you will be doing if you discuss your accident, injuries, or case online. Your digital content might bring certain elements of your case into question. For instance, a picture of you out with friends might imply that your injuries aren’t very serious or that you are ignoring your doctor’s orders. A description of the accident might bring liability into question. It is best that you stay off these websites while your case is pending. You should also ask friends and loved ones not to post any photos of you until further notice.
- Listen to Your Doctor’s Advice: Being put out of work for several weeks or even months could be incredibly stressful, especially when the medical bills and other expenses are mounting. But it is important that you listen to your doctor’s advice, even if that means abstaining from work and physical activity for an extended period of time. Otherwise, you could face a dispute over the mitigation of damages.
What Is My Personal Injury Claim Worth?
This is a complex question with no simple answer. Remember, no lawyer can guarantee a specific outcome for your case. However, our Oxnard personal injury attorneys can estimate a fair settlement based on the pertinent facts. Here are a few factors your attorney may take into account when estimating a fair settlement amount:
- Lost Earnings: Did you miss work due to your injuries? Have your injuries impacted your job performance? These lost earnings could be factored into the eventual settlement amount. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we often consult with financial and vocational experts to determine whether our clients are entitled to compensation for lost wages and to estimate a fair settlement figure. In the event that you suffered a disability or long-term injury, you may be able to obtain compensation for loss of future earning capacity.
- Medical Costs: Your medical bills will likely make up a large part of your post-accident expenses. The cost of treatments, pain management, care, modalities, and other necessary medical interventions can add up quickly, putting an extreme burden on your finances. When estimating the value of your claim, our lawyers may consider costs such as past and future medical procedures, lab tests, prescription drugs, physical therapy, prosthetics, orthopedics, and pain management.
- Pain and Suffering: The effects of a serious injury aren’t just reflected by your bank balance. Pain and suffering may not be a tangible cost, but the impact it has on your wellbeing is very real. Some injuries can affect your ability to enjoy your daily life, from spending time with your kids to your hobbies to just relaxing in front of the TV. While there is no set formula for calculating pain and suffering, lawyers typically employ one of two methods to estimate a fair settlement. For instance, your lawyer may multiply the total cost of your medical bills by a number between 1.5 and 5. Alternatively, your legal team might use the “per diem” approach wherein each day from the date you sustained the injury until the day you’re expected to reach maximum medical improvement is assigned a dollar amount.
We Are Available 24/7 To Take Your Call
Whether you’re in the midst of settlement negotiations or preparing for trial, having your attorney available to discuss your situation and explain the proceedings can give you peace of mind. Our personal injury lawyers in Oxnard believe in maintaining an open line of communication with clients. We will be available after office hours to answer your questions and to keep you updated on your case’s progress.
Call Harris Personal Injury Lawyers in Oxnard for Help Today
You may not be sure you need an attorney or whether Harris Personal Injury Lawyers is the right firm for you. The only way to find out is to talk with us. Submit your information through our online form or call 1-800-GO-HARRIS. We are available to take your call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We offer free, confidential consultations. There are no risks or obligations involved. If you cannot come meet with us at our Oxnard office, we will come to you.