Motor-vehicle collisions are a leading cause of unintentional injuries and death in California. If you were hurt or lost a family member in a crash that someone else caused, you might be entitled to damages. Our San Diego car accident lawyers can help you navigate the claims process and fight for the highest settlement possible.
We’ve represented more than 5,000 clients and have won numerous six- and seven-figure settlements and verdicts. We know the most effective ways to maximize the potential value of every case we handle, and we won’t settle for anything less than you deserve. To arrange a free, no-obligation consultation, call our 24-hour phone line at 1-800-GO-HARRIS.
Types of Cases Our San Diego Auto Accident Attorneys Handle
- Drunk driving accidents;
- Distracted driving accidents;
- Large truck accidents;
- Scooter accidents;
- Pedestrian accidents;
- Bus accidents;
- Rideshare vehicle accidents;
- Car accidents resulting in brain or spinal cord injury;
- Car accidents resulting in wrongful death; and
- Other car accident cases.
What If I Was Partially Liable for the Accident?
Even if you’re certain that the other motorist involved in the crash was negligent, the insurance company might still argue that you were partially liable.
This may happen if:
- You Were Breaking a Traffic Law: If you were speeding, under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or violating another traffic law at the time of the crash, the claims adjuster might say that your own negligence was a contributing factor. A skilled car accident lawyer in San Diego may be able to overcome such a dispute by proving that you weren’t breaking the law or that the violation was not a contributing factor.
- You Admitted Fault: Some people are inclined to apologize and accept blame even if they didn’t cause the crash, but admitting fault is never a good idea. Even if you think you were to blame, evidence might surface that demonstrates another factor was the proximate cause of the crash. But if you’ve already admitted fault and this was recorded in the police report, the insurance company might dispute your claim.
- You Provided a Recorded Statement: Insurance adjusters know how to ask leading questions to elicit a response that can be taken out of context to dispute liability. If you provided a recorded statement—even if you were careful about what you said—the insurance company may have more ammunition to use to challenge your claim. Our car accident lawyers can handle all dialogue with the insurance company so you don’t provide statements that can be used against you.
- You Posted About the Accident Online: Just like the statements you provide to the insurance adjuster, your social media posts could harm your claim. For instance, if you describe what happened in the moments leading up to the collision and you admit to using your cellphone, speeding, or even just being tired, the insurance company might dispute liability. It’s wise to stay off social media until the conclusion of your case. In fact, it’s a good idea to disable your accounts temporarily so they cannot be reviewed by anyone affiliated with the insurance company, and be sure to ask your close friends and family not to post any photos of you while your claim is pending.
If it’s determined that your own negligence somehow contributed to the crash, you will be assigned a percentage of fault. For example, if you were speeding and you were hit by a drunk driver, you might be assigned 15 percent of fault while the other driver is assigned 85 percent. Your award of damages would then be reduced by your percentage of fault.
This is one reason why it’s important to enlist the services of a well-credentialed car accident attorney. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we know the most effective strategies to overcome liability disputes. We can gather all available evidence, talk to eyewitnesses, bring in expert witnesses, and do everything in our power to help you pursue compensation for 100 percent of your damages. If it turns out that you were partially liable, we will take the necessary steps to minimize the percentage of fault assigned to you.
Discuss Your Claim with a San Diego Car Accident Attorney
If you’re dealing with the physical, emotional, and financial consequences of a serious collision, turn to Harris Personal Injury Lawyers. Insurance companies will go to great lengths to protect their bottom line, and that often translates into unfair settlements for accident victims. Our attorneys will make sure you’re treated fairly through every stage of the proceedings.
We’ve represented thousands of clients and have won more than $300,000,000 in settlements and verdicts. There’s no cost for the consultation, and you won’t owe any attorney’s fees unless we win. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS or use our online contact form to schedule a free case review.