Seal Beach Truck Accident Attorneys
Seal Beach Truck Accident Attorneys
Nobody expects to get injured in a crash with a big rig, but thousands of people are seriously hurt or die in these wrecks every year. If you are one of them, our truck accident attorneys in Seal Beach can help you fight for fair compensation. It is often the case that the motor carrier or another party is at least partially liable for damages. Our lawyers can help you determine fault and pursue the settlement you deserve. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS for a free consultation.
Should I Start a Personal Injury Journal?
After suffering a serious injury, that traumatic moment may feel like it is burnt into your mind forever. But memories are fleeting, and even the clearest details will inevitably fade over time. Months or even days after the collision, it’s likely that you will forget important information that could help your Seal Beach truck accident lawyer prove liability or causation. As such, our attorneys advise you to start a personal injury journal. Logging the details of your accident, recovery, and other aspects of your case in a journal could help us estimate a fair settlement and build your claim. Here are a few items you may want to record in your personal injury journal:
- Details About the Day You Suffered Your Injury: What caused the accident? What did the other party or parties involved say immediately afterward? Did you speak to any eyewitnesses? The answers to these questions could determine how your attorney approaches his or her investigation. For instance, if you noted that there were surveillance cameras near the accident scene, your lawyer might take steps to obtain this footage before it is erased.
- Your Pain Levels: Serious injuries can lead to significant levels of pain. As such, compensation for pain and suffering is typically available to claimants who have experienced severe suffering in the aftermath of an accident. However, determining the value of such losses is no simple task. Unlike tangible costs, such as your medical expenses and repair bills, there are no invoices for mental anguish. A personal injury journal can help you keep track of your pain levels and paint a clear picture of how your condition has impacted your everyday life. Every time you experience symptoms related to your injuries, you should record the time, date, and grade the severity of this pain on a scale of 1 to 10.
- Doctor’s Appointments and Consultations: During follow-ups with your primary care physician or consultations with specialists, you should take notes on what they say, the treatments they recommend, the medication prescribed, and any other instructions. You should also log every time you follow through on their orders.
- Your Limitations: A serious injury can prevent you from engaging in normal activities such as tackling household chores or driving to and from work. You should take notes on the ways your injuries inhibit your ability to return to your normal routine. Make sure to bring your personal injury journal to your free initial consultation to share with a Seal Beach truck accident attorney.
Types of Damages in a Truck Accident Case
A serious injury can have far-reaching consequences, putting immeasurable strain on your finances and impacting both your physical and emotional wellbeing. As part of a personal injury claim, you may be able to recover most, if not all of these costs. While most claimants know that they can seek compensation for their medical bills and vehicle repairs, there are many other types of damages that, based on the nature of your injuries, could be factored into your claim. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we can assess your case and help make sure that your claim accounts for all recoverable losses. Below are the three main types of damages that may be available to claimants in a personal injury case:
- Economic Damages: These are the costs you’ve incurred as a direct result of your injuries. On one hand, this can include expenses such as your medical bills, repairs, and home modifications; on the other, tangible losses also cover lost wages and future healthcare interventions.
- Non-Economic Damages: These losses refer to the intangible effects of your injuries. Serious medical conditions are often accompanied by extreme pain and suffering, which can have a significant impact on your quality of life. As such, you may be entitled to compensation for pain and suffering, emotional distress, and mental anguish. For instance, if your injuries caused you to experience extreme agony during your recovery, your attorney may multiply your medical bills by a number between 1.5 and 5 (based on the extent of your injuries and a few other factors) to estimate a fair settlement for such damages, or they might use the per diem approach.
- Punitive Damages: Unlike other damages in a personal injury case, which exist to make the claimant whole again, punitive damages are designed to punish the defendant to deter others from engaging in similar behavior.
Contact Us Today to Speak with a Seal Beach Truck Accident Lawyer
You can reach us 24/7 by calling 1-800-GO-HARRIS or sending a message HERE. The consultation is fee, and no attorneys’ fees will be due unless we prevail.