Altadena Wrongful Death Attorneys
Altadena Wrongful Death Attorneys
There’s no easy way to cope with the unexpected death of a loved one. The pain and sadness that comes with this loss is almost always overwhelming, but it can be especially heartbreaking if their death was preventable. To make matters worse, losing a loved one can wreak havoc on your finances, leaving you to pay for their medical expenses and burial costs and find a way to make ends meet as the income they once provided disappears. Our Altadena wrongful death attorneys may be able to help you hold the at-fault parties financially responsible for the damage they’ve done. At HPI, our attorneys have decades of collective experience handling wrongful death and personal injury claims. Not only do we know what it takes to succeed in even the most complex cases, but we have also forged strong connections with local expert witnesses who could play a crucial role in your fight for a fair settlement. To get started, contact us today at 1-800-GO-HARRIS.
How Much Is My Wrongful Death Claim Worth?
If you relied on the deceased financially, it may be in your best interests to speak to a personal injury attorney. There are many damages you might be able to pursue and overlooking certain losses may deprive you of the funds you need to get your life back on track. Typically, plaintiffs in a wrongful death case are able to seek both compensatory damages and exemplary damages. Compensatory damages can encompass a broad range of losses, such as the deceased’s medical costs, loss of consortium, and burial expenses. Exemplary damages, often referred to as punitive damages, may be recoverable if the party responsible for your loved one’s death acted recklessly, intentionally, or maliciously. At HPI, our attorneys can investigate the accident that led to your family member’s death to determine which damages may be recoverable in your case. Let’s explore a few types of damages commonly available to plaintiffs:
- Loss of Future Wages: If you and other family members relied on the deceased financially, your loved one’s death likely had a significant impact on your financial situation. In an instant, the money they were expected to earn was wiped out, leaving you on the hook for life’s daily expenses and the deceased’s outstanding medical bills. Estimating the value of lost wages and benefits can involve many complex equations. Your attorney may need to consult with financial and vocational experts to get a clear idea of your loved one’s expected career trajectory and the earnings and benefits they would’ve received had they survived. The deceased’s age, salary, and field of work will likely have a major influence on the value of such damages.
- Funeral and Burial Expenses: A casket alone can cost upwards of $10,000. As such, it’s no surprise then that burying a loved one can put immense strain on your finances. Fortunately, these expenses could be recoverable as part of your claim.
- Loss of Consortium: Losing a spouse can leave a void in your life, robbing you of the affection, guidance, and support they once provided. As such, plaintiffs have a right to seek compensation for loss of consortium, also known as loss of companionship.
How Can an Altadena Wrongful Death Attorney Assist with My Case?
Unintentional injuries are one of the leading causes of death in California, impacting the lives of thousands of families every year. In many such cases, it’s not the victim who is to blame, but the negligent and reckless actions of the others involved. If you lost a loved one to an accident, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. Not only is burying someone close to you a heartbreaking experience, but you may also be struggling financially in the wake of their passing. While you may know that filing a claim against the at-fault party could help you recover compensation for this unexpected loss, initiating legal proceedings can be a daunting prospect. This is where our Altadena wrongful death attorneys can step in. With decades of experience representing accident victims and their relatives, our lawyers can help you hold the liable parties accountable for their negligent actions. Here are a few ways we may be able to assist with your case:
- Approximate a Fair Settlement: Once your claim is approved, you will need to negotiate a settlement. While the insurance company may be quick to make an attractive offer, it’s important to consider your options carefully. Keep in mind that the insurer might be looking to minimize the amount they pay out. As such, their proposed settlement may not account for some of your losses. Our attorneys can help approximate the value of your damages by investigating the accident that led to your loved one’s death and reviewing the available evidence.
- Conduct a Thorough Investigation: It’s not uncommon for wrongful death claims to net victims six- and seven-figure settlements, but these sizable sums can be difficult to obtain. With a small fortune at stake, opposing parties are more likely to commit resources towards disputing aspects of your claim. As such, if you are seeking a significant amount, you should expect the insurer to dig deep to unearth any evidence that could be used to challenge your case. One of the most reliable ways to mitigate or counter disputes is to gather and compile strong evidence. That’s why our legal team believes in thoroughly investigating every claim to ensure that important information is not overlooked.
- Handle Settlement Negotiations with the Insurer: Once negotiations begin, reaching a settlement agreement could take weeks—if not months. The insurer, for instance, may dispute the value of lost wages or insist that some of the procedures you underwent were unnecessary. Overcoming such disputes may involve collecting evidence, responding to requests for additional documentation, or consulting with expert witnesses. It’s a lot to take on—especially if you’ve just recently lost a loved one. At HPI, our attorneys can oversee legal proceedings and negotiate a fair offer on your behalf so that you can focus on other matters.
Connect with a Wrongful Death Attorney in Altadena Today
After losing a loved one to an accident, it’s difficult to focus on anything else but the grief, pain, and anger that often accompanies an unexpected loss. At HPI, our attorneys can oversee the logistics of your case, so you can focus on taking care of yourself and your family during this challenging chapter of your lives. To schedule a free consultation, visit our contact page HERE or contact us directly at 1-800-GO-HARRIS.