Laguna Niguel Personal Injury Attorneys | Accident Lawyers
Laguna Niguel Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Were you injured while riding a bike? If the incident was caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to damages. Our Laguna Niguel bicycle accident lawyers can help you navigate the legal system and fight for a fair settlement or verdict.
Call us today at 1-800-GO-HARRIS for a free consultation. We will come to you if your injuries prevent you from coming to us.
Could My Social Media Content Hurt My Claim?
Absolutely yes. The insurance company will be looking for any information they can dig up to challenge your case, and you want to avoid giving them ammunition to use against you. Your social media content could open the door to a number of disputes that might prolong the proceedings or reduce your potential recovery.
You should avoid posting altogether in the wake of the incident. In fact, you should consider deactivating your social media accounts entirely since something as seemingly innocent as a photo of a small get together with friends could be used by the opposing party to dispute your case. If you do keep your accounts active, here are some best practices to protect your claim:
- Go Private: Make sure your privacy settings are adjusted so only your friends and followers can see your posts. Keep your phone number and email address off your pages and, if possible, select the option that prevents search engines from finding you through your contact information. Even with these settings, though, it’s important to remember that an insurer may still be able to access your accounts through discovery.
- No Selfies: Pictures can easily be taken out of context to challenge your case. Any images showing you were physically active, for example, might serve as evidence that can reduce the value of your claim as the insurer may argue that your injuries are not that severe or that you have failed to mitigate damages. Tell friends to avoid posting photos of you, and make sure not to upload any yourself.
- Keep Your Friends Close: You may want to let your friends know that you’re restricting your social media activity so they don’t inadvertently hurt your case by posting about you, tagging you in posts, or discussing your circumstances. Don’t accept requests from new connections while your case is pending. You should try to limit the people who see your activity to those whom you know best.
- Don’t Mention the Accident: One of the biggest mistakes you can make in the course of a personal injury case is to post about the facts of the case on social media. Do not mention the accident or your injury online, or talk about legal proceedings. As a rule of thumb, assume that any post has the potential to be used against you.
How Are Settlements Calculated in Personal Injury Cases?
There’s no magic formula for calculating a reasonable settlement in a personal injury case. That being said, our Laguna Niguel bicycle accident lawyers have decades of collective experience in settlement negotiations. By looking at the specific facts surrounding your case, we can approximate a fair settlement figure as part of building your claim.
Here are a few factors our Laguna Niguel bicycle accident attorneys may consider when approximating the value of your case:
- Lost Wages: If you were prevented from returning to work due to your condition or injuries, these lost earnings may be recoverable as part of your claim. As a result, your salary before the accident could have a major impact on the potential settlement amount.
- Medical Care: From medical treatments to prescriptions, medical care can set you back a small fortune. And that’s just if you suffered a minor injury. More severe conditions may require long-term interventions.
- Severity of Injuries: Catastrophic injuries usually lead to steeper medical costs, greater lost income, and more extensive pain and suffering.
- Other Economic Damages: Did you have to modify your home to accommodate any physical limitations stemming from your condition? Did you have to invest in alternate transportation while recovering from your injuries? These costs could be included as part of the settlement calculations.
- Your Liability: If you were at all responsible for the accident—or your own negligence caused your condition to worsen or extended your medical recovery—your financial award may be reduced.
- Your Diligence Regarding Medical Care: If you have deviated from your doctor’s orders, the opposing party might refuse to cover 100 percent of your damages, arguing that you have failed to mitigate damages.
Set up a Free Consultation with a Laguna Niguel Bicycle Accident Lawyer
If you need legal representation following a bicycle crash, turn to Harris Personal Injury Lawyers. Schedule a free, no-obligation consultation today by calling 1-800-GO-HARRIS or sending us a message online.