Laguna Niguel Personal Injury Attorneys | Accident Lawyers
Laguna Niguel Truck Accident Attorneys
The aftermath of a serious injury can be a painful, traumatic, and confusing time. You may be wondering how best to pursue a claim for your medical bills and other damages. Our truck accident attorneys in Laguna Niguel can evaluate the facts of your case in a free consultation and help you determine the most strategic way to proceed.
Our lawyers have many decades of collective experience representing the injured and their families. To discuss your case with a member of our team, call our 24-hour phoneline at 1-800-GO-HARRIS.
How Can I Strengthen My Case?
Most truck accident cases are brought on the basis of negligence. In tort law, negligence is one party’s breach of the duty of care owed to another. If you intend to bring a negligence claim, you will have to prove not only that the defendant breached the duty of care owed to you—for example, by driving recklessly—but also that the breach of duty caused your injuries.
Each case is unique, but the strongest claims tend to have these basic factors in common: sound evidence and a low likelihood for disputes. While the outcome of your case is largely out of your control, you can still take certain steps to improve the chances of winning a fair settlement or trial verdict:
- Seek Medical Care Immediately: No matter how minor your injuries seem to be, it is best to get a medical evaluation as soon as possible. A prompt assessment from a doctor can help connect the injury to the crash. It will also create official documentation of your diagnosis and prognosis. And the longer you wait to visit a doctor, the higher the chance of facing a dispute over a failure to mitigate damages.
- Follow Your Doctor’s Orders: The opposing party may try to argue that you made your injuries worse by not heeding professional medical advice. If you miss appointments or fail to fill prescriptions, the insurance company might say you did not take reasonable measures to prevent your condition from worsening. Showing you were responsible in tending to your injuries can help prevent or mitigate such disputes.
- Stay off Social Media: Talking about an incident online could give fuel to an opposing party’s argument. Even unrelated posts could potentially weaken your claim. You might, for instance, inadvertently undermine your case if you share a photo that shows you being physically active after your injury. Regardless of the context, the insurance company may use this picture to argue that your injuries are not as serious as you claim or that you have failed to mitigate the damages.
- Do Not Provide a Statement to the Insurer: The insurance company might ask you to provide a recorded statement. Even if the statement is not recorded, you risk supplying information that might weaken your case. Attempting to negotiate with the insurer without consulting a Laguna Niguel truck accident lawyer could lead to your own words being used against you. It is advised that your attorney handles all correspondence with the opposing party from the start.
What Factors Can Influence the Value of My Claim?
It is impossible to approximate the value of a personal injury claim without first conducting an investigation. Our Laguna Niguel truck accident attorneys can review the relevant evidence and estimate a fair settlement based on the circumstances. Here are a few key elements we may consider when performing the settlement calculations:
- Shared Liability: If you played even a small a part in causing the accident, the insurer may be able to argue that you are at least partly liable for your own damages. As a result, your financial award may be reduced. Your recovery may also be reduced if the opposing party can prove you made your injuries worse after the fact. They may, for instance, argue that you failed to follow your doctor’s advice and therefore exacerbated your condition or prolonged your physical recovery.
- The Severity of Your Injury: Injuries that require intensive or long-term care generally result in higher medical expenses. If an accident causes permanent or long-term disability, you may be entitled to compensation for future damages in addition to the losses you have already incurred.
- Effects on Employment: Lost wages may be recoverable in a personal injury case if an accident leaves the victim unable to immediately return to work. Under some circumstances, it is possible to obtain compensation for loss of future income and benefits.
- Additional Expenses: Changes you had to make to your lifestyle to accommodate limitations stemming from your injury could increase the size of your potential settlement. If, for instance, you had to hire domestic help or childcare in the wake of the injury, these costs might be recoverable. Other economic damages that might be recoverable include alternative transportation and modifications to your home or vehicle.
Contact Us at 1-800-GO-HARRIS to Speak with a Truck Accident Lawyer in Laguna Niguel
You can reach our 24-hour phoneline by calling 1-800-GO-HARRIS. You can also send us a message on our Contact Page. The consultation is free, and no attorneys’ fees will be charged unless we win.