Laguna Niguel Personal Injury Attorneys | Accident Lawyers
Laguna Niguel Slip and Fall Attorneys
Nobody expects to suffer a traumatic injury simply because they lost their footing, but falls are actually a leading cause of unintentional injuries and deaths in California. Our slip and fall attorneys in Laguna Nigel offer tenacious legal representation to people who have sustained fall injuries due to the negligence of other parties.
We are available to take your call 24/7. For a free consultation, dial 1-800-GO-HARRIS.
Elements of a Strong Slip and Fall Claim
Seeking compensation for a personal injury is rarely a straightforward process. While all signs may point to the other party being liable for your damages, insurance companies often go to extreme lengths to reduce or deny claims. And even if you have a watertight case, mistakes you make before or after filing the claim could still have a profound impact on the outcome.
Our Laguna Niguel slip and fall lawyers can help you avoid costly errors, and we can gather the evidence needed to build your case. We can also assess your situation in a free consultation and explain the apparent strengths and weaknesses of your claim.
Here are a few signs that you have a strong case:
- You Took Steps to Mitigate Damages: As a claimant in a personal injury case, you have a responsibility to take sufficient steps to mitigate your damages. For instance, if your doctor instructs you to perform a set of daily exercises and you fail to follow through on his or her instructions, the insurance company may argue that your own negligence has exacerbated or aggravated your condition. Your financial award may therefore be reduced by a percentage representing your own liability.
- You Have Strong Evidence: Some evidence may appear to be insignificant but could go on to play a crucial role in corroborating your account of the incident. For instance, if you were injured in a slip and fall accident, keeping your shoes may help your legal team prove that you were wearing the appropriate footwear at the time of the incident. Our Laguna Niguel slip and fall lawyers will know the most valuable evidence to compile given the facts of your case.
- You Didn’t Postpone Medical Treatment: Seeking a prompt medical evaluation after an accident—no matter how minor the injuries—can help strengthen your case. Not only will the doctor make notes on your diagnosis, but seeking care right away may also help your attorney connect your injuries to the accident. Delay this visit, and the defendant may argue that your injuries are the result of another incident, they couldn’t be very serious, or you have failed to mitigate your damages.
What Is a Personal Injury Journal?
You may never think you’ll forget the details of the moment when you were injured, but even the clearest memories can fade over time. A personal injury journal is a simple way to keep track of your recovery, note down details about the accident, and record other information that may assist your Laguna Niguel slip and fall lawyer when building your case.
Here is just some of the information you should include in your personal injury journal:
- Doctor Visits: A personal injury journal should be a central resource for all the information surrounding your injury. You should include the details of doctor visits, follow-ups, and consultations with specialists. Take note of their recommendations, comments on your injuries, prescribed medications, and anything else said during these visits. You should also make notes on when you followed through with their instructions. For instance, if you were told to perform certain stretches twice a day, make an entry every time you complete these exercises.
- Lost Earnings: You should also include information on any time you’ve taken off work due to your injuries. For instance, your doctor may have instructed you to stay at home and rest to allow your condition to improve, or you may have had to leave work early to visit the doctor. Additionally, you should make notes on whether or not your injuries have affected your work capacity.
- Pain and Suffering: Pain is an incredibly personal experience, which is why it can be challenging to quantify non-economic damages when approximating a fair settlement. A personal injury journal can help your lawyer prove the existence and extent of your non-economic damages. Be sure to track your pain levels and the severity of other symptoms on a scale from 1 to 10. You should also describe your symptoms in detail, using evocative imagery to help communicate their impact on your life. For instance, instead of just writing, “soreness in thigh,” you could describe this agony as a drill piece turning slowly between your muscle fibers. These extra details may help your lawyer develop a more compelling argument for pain and suffering damages.
Speak with a Laguna Niguel Slip and Fall Lawyer Today
We can come to you if you are unable to come to our office. For a free case review, call us today at 1-800-GO-HARRIS or send a message on our Contact Page.