Laguna Niguel Personal Injury Attorneys | Accident Lawyers
Laguna Niguel Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
If you were hit by a negligent driver and suffered injuries as a result, you may be entitled to compensation. To discuss your case in a free consultation, contact our office to speak with a Laguna Niguel pedestrian accident attorney.
Our phoneline is open 24/7. We accept cases on a contingency fee basis, so no attorneys’ fees will be due unless we win. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS to speak with a member of our team.
Mistakes to Avoid When Filing a Pedestrian Accident Claim
It is important to be aware of the potential pitfalls that could weaken your case. A single misstep could hurt your chances of obtaining fair compensation.
The opposing party or their insurance company will be looking for any excuse to challenge your claim so they can pay out as little as possible or nothing at all. It is critical to stay diligent, be careful about what you say and do, and avoid errors that could open the door to disputes.
Our Laguna Niguel pedestrian accident lawyers can help you understand the common errors made by people in your situation and how to avoid them. Here are just a few of the potential mistakes you should be aware of from day one:
- Postponing Medical Care: You may think that your injuries are not serious enough to warrant immediate treatment. Even if you feel that you don’t need a doctor’s care, you should still seek professional medical advice as soon as possible. There are several reasons for this. An injury can worsen over time, especially if left untreated. Beyond the increased suffering, you might have to deal with the insurance company’s argument that you bear some responsibility for your injuries since you failed to visit a doctor within a reasonable timeframe. Seeking medical treatment early can also help your legal team connect the injuries to the accident.
- Sharing on Social Media: No matter how tempting it may be, you should avoid posting online about your personal injury case. Social media is not your friend when you’re in the middle of a legal battle. The opposing party might comb through your profile pages, looking for content that could be used to challenge your case. This could be something as simple as a photo of you with friends where your injuries don’t appear very serious, or a comment that implies you played some part in causing the accident. Try to avoid posting anything online whatsoever. You should also dial up your privacy settings on all your profiles or temporarily deactivate your accounts altogether.
- Talking to the Opposing Party: The responsible party or their insurance company may reach out to you directly to ask for a statement. This might seem like a reasonable request, but giving such a statement could be one of the most serious errors you make. Claims adjusters are skilled in asking leading or confusing questions that serve their narrative. They may use your answers out of context to counter your evidence and dispute certain aspects of your claim. Without realizing it, you could be giving ammunition to the opposing party that you can’t take back. Before speaking to any insurance company representatives, it is best to seek legal counsel to make sure you don’t inadvertently hurt your case. Our Laguna Niguel pedestrian accident lawyers can handle all dialogue with the opposing party.
How Our Attorneys Can Help You Pursue Fair Compensation
Even if you have a strong case, it is still in your best interests to contact a personal injury lawyer for a free consultation. Insurance companies have financial incentive to challenge any claim brought against them. They may employ a range of tactics to dispute your case. Our Laguna Niguel pedestrian accident attorneys are familiar with these strategies and can help you build your case and counter disputes as they arise.
Here are just a few ways we can assist with your claim:
- Deposing Expert Witnesses: In many cases, particularly when disputes arise, the insight of an expert witness could be the difference between recovering a reasonable settlement and walking away empty handed. Expert witness deposition can play a crucial role in resolving disputes. For instance, if the insurance company asserts that your injury won’t have long-term consequences for your career, your lawyer might depose medical, financial, and vocational experts to demonstrate otherwise.
- Showing You Have the Means to Enter Litigation: Contrary to what their advertisements may claim, insurance companies don’t always have people’s best interests at heart. If you do not have a skilled litigator by your side, the insurer may see this as a chance to offer an unreasonable settlement under the belief that you would not be willing to enter litigation. Our lawyers have extensive litigation experience and a reputation for success at trial, which often work in our favor during settlement negotiations.
- Collecting Evidence: Important evidence in a pedestrian accident case is often time-sensitive or difficult to access. For instance, surveillance footage of the incident may be erased in the days after you sustained your injury, or the property owner may be unwilling to hand over this evidence. A lawyer will understand which evidence can help strengthen your case and what steps may be necessary to gain access to such evidence. As such, you should contact an attorney as soon as possible so he or she can launch the investigation before this evidence is erased or becomes inaccessible.
Contact Our Laguna Niguel Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Today
Our phoneline is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Send us a message or dial 1-800-GO-HARRIS to set up a free case assessment.