Lake Elsinore Personal Injury Attorneys | Accident Lawyers
Lake Elsinore Dog Bites and Animal Attack Attorneys
If you have ever been attacked by a dog or other domesticated animal, you know how scary it can be. Did it break the skin? Am I bleeding? Do I need medical attention? Can I be compensated for my injuries? No matter what questions are running through your mind, it is best to contact a personal injury lawyer to discuss your options.
At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we routinely handle dog bite and animal attack cases. We are well-versed in California’s strict liability laws and are poised to fight for your rights against a negligent pet owner. Throughout the years, we have built a strong reputation for successfully pursuing compensation on behalf of injured parties. If you have been injured by a rogue animal, let us help you along the road to recovery.
California’s Strict Liability Law
Generally, pet owners in California are “strictly liable” for injuries that their animals cause. This means that as the injured party, you do not need to prove that the dog owner did anything wrong in order to sue him for damages. This is true whether you are attacked in a public place or on private property.
To successfully bring a claim for damages, you only need to prove:
- That the at-fault party owned the animal that harmed you;
- That the attack occurred when you were 1) on public property, or 2) lawfully on private property; and
- That you were injured.
Who is Liable for a California Animal Attack?
Generally, the responsible party in an animal attack case is the animal’s owner. However, there are certain exceptions:
- The Landlord: If a landlord is aware that a tenant owns a dangerous animal, he has the right to remove it from the premises. As such, if that animal attacks you when you are (lawfully) on the landlord’s property, you may be able to hold him liable for your injuries.
- The animal’s caretaker: If another person or business was responsible for the animal at the time of the attack, you may potentially hold that party liable – however, this only applies if the caretaker had “prior knowledge” that the animal was dangerous.
- Property owners: The owner of a residential property may be liable for your injuries if a dangerous animal escaped due to a neglected fence or other defective condition.
Compensation for Dog Bites in Lake Elsinore
Before you speak with a claims adjuster, contact a personal injury attorney to discuss your case. Never sign any paperwork or agree to a settlement before first speaking with one of our attorneys. Our team has decades of collective experience representing victims of dog bites and other animal attacks and are ready to help you walk away with the compensation you deserve.
As a victim of a California animal attack, you may pursue compensation for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost income
- Reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Disability and disfigurement
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Discuss Your Claim with a California Dog Bite Lawyer
At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we have recovered more than $300 million for our clients, a large portion of which has been in animal attack cases. We are poised to help you pursue compensation for your injuries with our honest, transparent approach. During our free consultation, we will evaluate your case and provide you with an overview of the next steps to take in pursuing the maximum amount of compensation for your injuries. With our history of success in dog bite cases and in-depth knowledge of relevant law, our team can guide you throughout each stage of your case. Schedule a low-risk consultation today by calling 1-800-GO-Harris or by sending us a message online.