Riverside Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
Riverside Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
There are many ways that a pedestrian accident can occur, but no matter the cause, it is likely that serious and possibly fatal injuries will result. The insurance company might try to shift the blame to you, but our pedestrian accident attorneys in Riverside can aggressively represent your interests and fight for the highest compensation possible. Don’t settle for less than what you deserve. Our lawyers won’t let the insurance company take advantage of you. We will prepare for settlement negotiations as if we are going to trial, and we won’t hesitate to file a lawsuit if the opposing party refuses to cooperate. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS to set up a free consultation.
What Tactics Might the Insurance Company Use to Dispute My Claim?
California law prohibits insurance companies from acting in bad faith. That essentially means insurance carriers must adhere to certain ethical practices or they could face an insurance bad faith claim. Despite these laws, there are plenty of ways for an insurance company to dispute a perfectly valid claim. Below are a few tactics the insurer might use to challenge your case:
- Saying Your Own Negligence Was a Contributing Factor: The thought of being blamed for an accident that you did not cause can be maddening—especially when you’re dealing with serious injuries. But if the insurance adjuster has any reason to contend that your own negligence played a role, they will almost certainly take advantage of the opportunity to do so. This is because your financial recovery will be limited by your percentage of fault. The higher the percentage of fault assigned to you, the less money the insurance company may have to pay out.
- Disputing the Value of Medical Bills: If your injuries weren’t that serious, you underwent an immediate medical evaluation, and you followed your doctor’s instructions exactly, there might not be much room for dispute when it comes to the value of your healthcare costs. But if you intend to seek compensation for future medical care, the insurer might challenge your attorney’s calculations. If your case proceeds to discovery, both your attorney and the attorney of the defense might depose medical experts regarding the severity of your injuries and the cost of future care. It is therefore important that you hire a law firm that works with highly qualified, well-credentialed medical specialists. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we work with life care planners, occupational therapists, and doctors from a variety of medical disciplines who have the qualifications and experience to provide credible deposition.
- Disputing the Value of Lost Future Income: Just like medical bills, the insurance company might dispute your attorney’s calculations for loss of future income and benefits. The formulas used to calculate these damages are complicated, so it takes a mastered knowledge of the relevant statutes and case law to minimize the likelihood of a dispute. Our pedestrian accident lawyers in Riverside know what it takes to help clients pursue compensation for loss of future income. If necessary, we can bring in an economist and vocational expert to provide deposition.
- Arguing That You’ve Failed to Mitigate Damages: Deviating from your doctor’s instructions in any way might lead to a reduction in your financial recovery. Generally speaking, if you do anything that causes your injuries to worsen or prolongs your recovery, you might face a dispute over a failure to mitigate damages.
- Asserting That Your Injuries Aren’t That Serious: Two medical experts could have two very different opinions regarding your prognosis. This is why it is important that you visit a doctor right away and take your healthcare seriously. If the insurance company asserts that your injuries aren’t as serious as you are claiming—which might happen if you delayed your medical evaluation—our lawyers may use your medical records and deposition from your treating physician and various medical experts to counter this defense.
We Can Help You Avoid Unnecessary Delays and Complications
Navigating the legal system can be stressful even if you have a highly skilled attorney by your side. The last thing you want to happen is to face an unnecessary dispute that draws out the proceedings for several months or years. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we know how to anticipate and avoid disputes that have the potential to cause delays or complications. We will strive to get you fairly compensated at the earliest possible point in time, but of course, we will relish the opportunity to litigate your case if the opposing party refuses to settle.
Speak with a Riverside Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Today
Call us today at 1-800-GO-HARRIS or send us a message on our Contact Page to set up a case evaluation. The consultation is free, and we won’t charge any attorney’s fees unless we resolve the case in your favor.