Riverside Train Accident Attorneys
Riverside Train Accident Attorneys
If you were injured in a train crash or if you lost a loved one in such an accident, contact Harris Personal Injury Lawyers to discuss your case. While we cannot undo what has happened to you and your family, we may be able to help you obtain compensation from the party responsible for the injury or death. Our train accident attorneys in Riverside have many decades of experience and the resources to go up against even the largest railroad companies. We understand how stressful it is to face steep medical bills and the inability to work. It can be difficult to sleep at night when your financial security is in jeopardy and you're dealing with severe pain and suffering. Our lawyers are ready to help you pursue justice and the highest possible compensation from the party who has wronged you. To set up a free case assessment, call 1-800-GO-HARRIS.
What Factors May Influence the Potential Value of My Case?
When a person suffers a catastrophic injury or dies in a train accident, the process of calculating damages can be incredibly complicated. Your lawyer may need to bring in financial and medical experts to assist with the calculations and perhaps to provide deposition. Even if your injuries aren’t permanent, it is still possible that the insurance company will dispute the settlement calculations. At the end of the day, there are many factors that can influence the potential value of your claim. Some examples include:
- The Cost of Your Medical Bills: Any reasonable and necessary healthcare costs arising from the tort can be included in the settlement calculations. That includes medical bills you are reasonably certain to incur in the future. The cost of healthcare typically makes up a substantial portion of the final settlement or verdict in successful personal injury cases.
- The Value of Lost Income: Have you lost wages while recovering from the injury? Has the injury permanently reduced your income-earning potential? Train accident victims may be entitled to damages for past and future loss of income and benefits.
- How the Injuries Are Affecting Your Wellbeing: The non-economic damages resulting from a serious injury can be just as traumatic as the direct financial losses. Severe injuries are often accompanied by tremendous pain and suffering, emotional distress, and lost enjoyment in life. Our skilled train accident lawyers in Riverside have extensive experience helping accident victims pursue compensation for non-economic damages.
- The Defendant’s Insurance Coverage Limits: There are many parties that might be liable for a train crash. Examples include the company that operated or owned the train, the owner of the track, or the manufacturer of one of the train's mechanical components. These parties often have substantial liability insurance policies. If, however, the defendant doesn’t have sufficient insurance limits to cover your damages and doesn’t have significant assets, your recovery may be limited to the insurance policy limits. One of our train accident attorneys in Riverside can perform a meticulous investigation to identify all parties who might share fault, in which case there may be multiple insurance policies from which to seek damages.
- The Value of the Defendant’s Assets: If it turns out that the defendant does not have insurance or has coverage limits that won’t pay for all your damages, your lawyer might advise you to go after their assets.
- Whether You Contributed to the Accident: If you were a passenger on the train, chances are you did not contribute to the accident or your injuries. If, however, you were hit by a train as a pedestrian or the driver of another vehicle, there’s a chance the opposing party will argue that your own negligence was a contributing factor. Under California’s pure comparative negligence system, a plaintiff’s recovery is limited by their percentage of fault.
- Whether You’ve Followed Your Doctor’s Instructions: Another reason why your award of damages may be reduced is if you failed to take reasonable measures to minimize your healthcare costs and other damages. For instance, if you’ve deviated from your doctor’s orders and this has caused your injuries to worsen or has prolonged your recovery, the insurance company might say that you should be held responsible for at least a portion of your damages.
We Aren’t Afraid to Go to Trial If the Opposing Party Refuses to Settle
Our trial attorneys have many decades of experience navigating every stage of litigation. While other law firms might be reluctant to proceed to trial, our lawyers won’t hesitate to take your case to court if the defendant refuses to cooperate. We have won substantial verdicts in complicated, high-stakes cases, which has earned our lawyers a reputation as some of the toughest litigators in the state of California.
Contact 1-800-GO-HARRIS Today to Discuss Your Case with a Train Accident Lawyer in Riverside
We accept train accident personal injury and wrongful death cases on a contingency fee basis. There’s no charge for the consultation. Dial 1-800-GO-HARRIS or send us a message to set up a case assessment.