Sherman Oaks Dog Bite Attorneys
Dog owners think of their four-legged friends as family members, downplaying the potential for dog bites. Not keeping them under control puts others at risk for serious personal injuries. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, Inc., we help victims get compensation.
Our Sherman Oaks dog bite attorneys are here 24 hours a day, seven days a week. With decades’ worth of combined experience, our top case results show a proven track record of success. To find out more about filing a dog bite claim, call 1-800-GO-HARRIS and request a free consultation today.
Our Sherman Oaks Dog Bite Attorneys Hold Dog Owners Accountable
Even the friendliest, most docile animal can turn aggressive in certain situations. The American Kennel Club (AKC) warns that reasons dogs may bite or attack include:
- Fear: Dogs can get fearful when meeting new people or visiting a new place. This can cause them lunge at anyone who gets too close.
- Frustration: Being forced to tolerate uncomfortable or unpleasant situations and straining to get to something while leashed can make dogs more likely to bite.
- Getting startled or surprised: When dogs are exposed to loud noises, approached from behind, or otherwise startled, they often act out aggressively.
- Protecting themselves or their owner: Dogs may attack if they think you are threatening them or their owners.
A dog’s behavior is unpredictable and hard to control, which is why owners should keep them properly restrained and under control at all times. When dog owners fail to take the necessary precautions, dog bites in Sherman Oaks can happen. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we help victims hold the owner accountable.
What Are Common Types of Dog Bite Injuries?
To help prevent dog bites in Sherman Oaks, dog owners are required to follow local leash laws. Los Angeles County Animal Care and Control advises that in addition to proper licensing, this includes keeping dogs on a leash and under control in public and preventing them from running loose in apartment complexes and neighborhoods. Owners should also notify visitors if a potentially aggressive dog is on the property.
When dog owners fail to follow these steps, serious and even life-threatening dog bite injuries can happen. Common injuries in cases our Sherman Oak dog bite attorneys handle include:
- Puncture wounds caused by the dog’s teeth, which can cause damage to muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues;
- Deep claw marks and scratches, which can cause infections and permanent scarring;
- Loss of limbs and damage to internal organs, due to the force of an attack;
- Post traumatic stress syndrome, which can haunt victims for years after, resulting in anxiety, depression, sleep disorders, and social isolation.
Why Should I Do In The Event of A Dog Bite?
Use extreme caution when approaching unfamiliar dogs. Even with those you know, be alert to signs of danger, such as growling, squinting eyes, a rigid stance, or raised hackles. Slowly back away from the dog, avoiding any sudden moves. If the dog does attack, curl yourself into a ball to protect your face and vital organs.
In the immediate aftermath, notify police immediately and seek medical care. If possible, get a description of the dog and owner, the direction they headed, and any witnesses at the scene. All of this is important information in filing a dog bite claim.
Under the California Civil Code, dog owners can be held responsible for damages you suffer due to their negligence. There are generally two options in filing a claim:
- Insurance policies: If the dog owner has renters or homeowners insurance, their policy may cover some of the costs associated with your injuries.
- Dog bite lawsuit: If insurance is not in place or fails to cover your costs, our Sherman Oaks dog bite attorneys can advise you on your rights in filing a lawsuit.
How Much Is A Dog Bite Lawsuit Worth?
The exact amount you are entitled to in a dog bite lawsuit will vary depending on the circumstances and the extent of your injuries. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, our legal team is dedicated to helping victims and their families get the maximum amount allowed by law. This may include:
- Coverage of current and future medical expenses;
- Reimbursement for lost wages and future losses in income due to your injuries;
- Compensation for pain, suffering, scarring disfigurement, and loss of enjoyment in life;
- Exemplary or punitive damages, when the dog owner acted with gross negligence.
For Dog Bites In Sherman Oaks, Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS
Harris Personal Injury Lawyers helps victims of dog bites get the compensation they are entitled to in a claim. We generally handle these cases on a contingency basis, meaning there are no up front attorney fees. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS or contact our Sherman Oaksundo dog bite attorneys online to request a free consultation today.