Westminster Wrongful Death Attorneys
Westminster Wrongful Death Attorneys
The hurt and anguish of losing a loved one is something that is difficult to put into words. In contrast to this intense emotional trauma, everything else can seem insignificant. You might struggle to work, eat, sleep, or just focus on life’s many other tasks. While there’s nothing that can bring back your relative, our Westminster wrongful death attorneys might be able to help you fight for the compensation your family needs to avoid financial turmoil in the wake of your sudden loss. At HPIL, your initial consultation is free, and if you decide to hire one of our lawyers, you won’t have to cover your attorney’s fees unless we achieve a successful outcome. To meet with one of our attorneys, call us today at 1-800-GO-HARRIS.
Important Elements of a Wrongful Death Case
Wrongful death cases are often incredibly complicated. Not only can it be challenging to determine which party is responsible for your loved one’s death, but you may also face pushback from the insurer as they do everything in their power to reduce how much they pay out. At HPIL, our wrongful death attorneys can grab the reins by investigating your loved one’s death, gathering evidence, and handling the other logistics of your claim. Below are a few important elements our attorneys will need to prove to help achieve a successful outcome in your case:
- Duty of Care: If the at-fault party was in a position where they were expected to act in a responsible manner towards the deceased, they owed them a duty of care. For example, a healthcare facility has a duty to treat a patient to the best of their ability. Alternatively, a driver has a responsibility to follow traffic laws and drive safely to ensure that they do not harm others on the road.
- Breach of Duty of Care: Once your lawyer has demonstrated that the liable party owed the deceased a duty of care, he or she will need to show how the at-fault party breached that responsibility. For example, if a doctor prescribed the wrong medication to the patient and this led to the patient’s death, the deceased’s family may have grounds for a wrongful death claim.
- Causation: You lost someone close to you, and it’s clear the defendant was negligent. However, to obtain a financial award, your attorney will need to show that your relative would not have died if not for the defendant’s actions. This is known as causation. In the case of the doctor in the above example, a lawyer might assert that a prudent healthcare provider in the same position would not have made this prescription error.
- Damages: From funeral expense to loss of care provided by a loved one, the death of someone close to you can have a significant impact on your emotional and financial well-being. However, to receive compensation for such losses, you will need to provide strong and convincing evidence of your damages, such as medical records, expert witness deposition, receipts, invoices, and other financial documents.
How Can a Westminster Wrongful Death Attorney Assist with My Case?
Our wrongful death attorneys have decades of collective experience helping clients and their families seek compensation in the wake of the death of a loved one. We provide tenacious representation, trusted legal guidance, and strong support at every stage of proceedings to parents, spouses, children, and other blood relatives of the deceased. Below are a few ways we might be able to assist with your wrongful death case:
- Estimate a Fair Settlement: One of the most important steps during negotiations is to approximate a fair sum for the damages you and your family have suffered. Without a clear idea of what your wrongful death claim might be worth, you risk accepting an offer that doesn’t cover your full range of expenses. Our lawyers can help estimate the potential recovery in your case by assessing the available evidence, obtaining the important documents and records, and consulting with expert witnesses if necessary.
- Conduct an In-Depth Investigation: Six- and seven-figure settlements are commonplace in wrongful death suits, but these sky-high sums can come at a cost. With so much at stake, it’s likely opposing parties will commit considerable resources towards challenging your claim to reduce how much they pay out. As such, you should expect to encounter disputes. Fortunately, strong evidence can help mitigate and counter such defenses. At HPIL, we can assist by conducting a thorough investigation into your loved one’s death, taking steps to obtain and compile the necessary evidence to prove liability and damages.
- Oversee Negotiations with the Insurer: Once your wrongful death claim is approved, you will have to negotiate a settlement offer with the insurance company. Your lawyer can help negotiate a fair offer, giving you time to focus on other matters.
Find a Wrongful Death Attorney in Westminster Today
If you believe you have grounds to bring a wrongful death claim, turn to the attorneys at HPIL. We can answer your questions, discuss potential outcomes for your case, and provide legal guidance during this challenging chapter of your life. Dial 1-800-GO-HARRIS or send us a message HERE to schedule your free initial consultation.