Avalon Personal Injury Attorneys | Accident Lawyers
Avalon Train Accident Attorneys
While taking the train is safer than most other forms of transport, accidents do still happen. These wrecks can result in catastrophic injuries and multiple fatalities. If you were injured on the rails, turn to our Avalon train accident attorneys to discuss your options.
At HPI, we’ve handled train accident claims across California, and our attorneys know what it takes to succeed in even the most complex cases. To book a free case review, call us today at 1-800-GO-HARRIS.
What Should I Do If I Was Injured in a Train Accident?
You might be prepared for a car wreck or even a pedestrian accident, but few of us plan for the worst-case scenario when using public transport. Train accidents may be rare, but there’s always a chance your next trip could put you in the emergency room. Fortunately, the steps you should take after a railway crash are similar to those you should take after any other accident.
Let’s take a look at a few of these steps below:
- Check If Anyone Else Is Injured: At maximum capacity, a train may have more than 1,000 passengers onboard. As such, if you’re involved in an accident, there’s a high likelihood that someone was seriously injured and requires urgent medical assistance.
- Contact Authorities: Dialing 911 will not only ensure that the injured parties receive medical care as soon as possible, but will also alert police to the accident. Typically, officers will arrive at the scene to compile an official report on what happened. This report will often include eyewitness statements; details about any deaths, injuries, and property damage; and the officers’ observations on what caused the wreck. The insurer will likely want to see this document before approving your claim.
- Speak to Eyewitnesses: In a train accident, there is no shortage of eyewitnesses. Every passenger onboard may be able to provide statements to help corroborate your version of events. You should record their contact details and a brief statement on what they witnessed. Your train accident attorney may want to reach out to these eyewitnesses to determine whether their deposition could help prove liability.
- Seek Medical Treatment: Visiting the doctor immediately after leaving the accident scene can help your attorney connect your injuries to the accident and show that you took sufficient steps to mitigate your losses.
- Stay Off Social Media: Pictures and comments you publish on social media could be used as evidence to dispute your claim. As such, we may ask you to disable your accounts until your case is resolved so that you don’t post anything that could compromise your case.
How Our Personal Injury Lawyers in Avalon Can Help
Between the pain, mounting expenses, and hard work of healing, life after suffering a serious injury can feel like a waking nightmare. In an instant, you’ve been plunged into a world of uncertainty as you try to make sense of the complex and overwhelming process of filing a personal injury claim.
A skilled attorney can help guide you through this challenging chapter of your life, overseeing the logistics of your case and explaining your role at each step of proceedings. As your lawyer works to help you achieve a successful outcome in your case, you will have the time you need to work on your recovery.
At HPI, we can assist with your claim in a number of ways, such as:
- Conduct an In-Depth Investigation: From mechanical faults to negligence to defective tracks, there are a variety of reasons train accidents happen. As such, determining what caused a railway accident is often more complicated than the average road wreck. When you hire one of our attorneys, they will look into what happened and collect and compile evidence of liability and damages such as maintenance records, eyewitness statements, surveillance camera footage, and expert opinions.
- Identify the Liable Parties: In a train accident, there may be many liable parties. For instance, the driver might have made an error, causing your carriage to derail. However, if the accident was caused by a stalled car on the tracks, for example, then the vehicle’s owner may be liable for your injuries, too. If the train derailed due to a mechanical failure, the railway company and the parts manufacturer could also be liable for your losses. Our train accident lawyers will carefully review the available evidence to determine who is responsible for compensating you for your damages to ensure we direct a claim or lawsuit toward the right party.
- Estimate a Fair Settlement: As your costs keep adding up, you will likely want to know what your claim is worth. Estimating the value of your damages can be difficult as calculating some of your losses—such as pain and suffering, lost wages, and emotional distress—might require input from expert witnesses. Our attorneys can work closely with you, your healthcare providers, and medical and economic experts to approximate the potential recovery in your case.
- Oversee Settlement Negotiations: Most claims are resolved outside of court during settlement talks with insurance companies. Once we’ve worked with the claims adjuster to prove their policyholder’s liability and demonstrated the damages you incurred, we can help you negotiate a fair settlement.
Speak to a Train Accident Attorney in Avalon Today
At HPI, our personal injury lawyers can assist you with your claim. From gathering evidence and estimating a fair settlement to litigating your case, we provide tenacious representation at all stages of proceedings. Dial 1-800-GO-HARRIS or switch over to our contact page to set up a free case assessment.