Avalon Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Avalon Bicycle Accident Attorneys
California’s sunny climes and abundance of scenic trails make the state a top destination for the country’s cyclists. However, as one of the most populous locales in the United States, city roads and coastal stretches are often coursing with motorists. As a result, thousands of cyclists are injured in accidents every year, with many forced to fork out a small fortune for treatment. If you were hurt while out riding, our Avalon bicycle accident attorneys may be able to help you hold the at-fault parties responsible. From slip and falls to truck accidents to dog bites, our attorneys have experience—and past success—handling a wide variety of personal injury cases. To find out how we could help you and your family, call us today at 1-800-GO-HARRIS.
Should I Seek Medical Treatment Even If My Injuries Are Not Serious?
Bicycle accidents can often be fatal, and few riders survive completely unscathed. As such, even if you were able to walk away from the accident, you should still schedule a medical assessment. Visiting the doctor promptly after leaving the scene can ensure that a potentially life-threatening injury doesn’t go undiagnosed and that you receive the treatment you need as soon as possible. Additionally, scheduling a doctor’s appointment can also help you prove your damages and avoid causation disputes when you file your claim. Below are a few more reasons why you should always seek medical treatment after a bicycle accident:
- The Insurer Will Want to See Proof of Your Damages: While you might have strong evidence to prove liability, the insurer will not approve your claim without adequate proof of the damages you incurred. Your medical records are an invaluable asset as they will show the types of injuries you sustained, treatments undergone, and health interventions you will likely require in the future due to your condition. These records may also include information regarding the limitations stemming from your injuries.
- You Have a Responsibility to Mitigate Damages: While the other party/parties involved may be entirely responsible for causing the accident, you could still be held liable for some of your losses. As a plaintiff, you have a responsibility to take reasonable steps to mitigate your damages. One of your most important responsibilities is to seek medical treatment in a timely manner after the accident. Failing to do so could lead to your condition worsening, and the insurer may argue that your negligence contributed to your damages. In such situations, you may be held liable for these additional costs. As a rule, you should visit the doctor as soon as you can after leaving the accident scene.
- You Need Evidence to Connect Your Injuries to the Accident: There was an accident, and you suffered a serious injury; now you will need to show how your damages are connected to the tort. Without strong evidence to show this connection, the insurer will have an opportunity to dispute causation. For instance, the claims adjuster may argue that you suffered your injuries in a different incident, or that your health complications stem from a pre-existing condition.
What Damages are Available in My Bicycle Accident Case?
The full impact of a serious bicycle accident isn’t just limited to the digits printed on your medical bills. From repairing your ride to making modifications to your home to accommodate limitations stemming from your injuries, a wreck can be a cluster bomb of expenses that can quickly devastate your financial well-being. If you’re planning to file a personal injury claim, you need to ensure that the eventual settlement accounts for all recoverable losses. Overlooking certain costs could leave you on the hook for the remainder. At HPI, our Avalon bicycle accident attorneys can perform an in-depth investigation to determine the kinds of damages you’ve incurred and estimate their value. If your injuries are permanent or opposing parties dispute some of the damages, we can bring in medical, vocational, and financial expert witnesses to provide deposition or testimony. Let’s explore some of the damages that may be recoverable in your claim:
- Lost Earnings: If you weren’t able to return to work due to your injury, you might be able to recover compensation for any income you’ve lost.
- Loss of Future Income: A personal injury claim can also account for income that you are reasonably likely to lose in the future due to your condition. In many situations, proving such damages will require input from vocational experts and economists who can assist with estimating the value of your diminished earning capacity. At HPI, we have access to a network of well-credentialed financial specialists who have extensive experience providing deposition or testifying during trial.
- Medical Expenses: As an accident victim, you can pursue damages for the medical expenses associated with treating your injuries. A claim can account for both the costs you’ve already incurred and the medical care you are reasonably likely expected to require in the future.
- Pain and Suffering: Bicycle accident victims often suffer serious injuries that are not only debilitating, but can also cause considerable pain and discomfort. As such, you might be able to seek compensation for the pain and suffering you’ve endured due to your condition.
Contact Us Today to Connect with a Bicycle Accident Attorney in Avalon
If you were struck by a motorist while riding your bike, you have a right to seek compensation for your injuries. Even minor injuries can lead to thousands of dollars in medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. At HPI, we can assess your situation, answer your questions, and share some of the strategies we may use to help you obtain a fair settlement. Dial 1-800-GO-HARRIS or jump to our online contact form HERE to pencil in a free case review.