In 2011, the California legislature ruled that all homes should have carbon monoxide detectors. Safety advocates are now urging people to replace those 2011 detectors, since they’re probably reaching the end of their lifespan. Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas that can lead to neurological issues and death. According to KSBY News Channel 6, approximately 12,000 people die from accident carbon monoxide poisoning each year.
People are urged to test their alarms once a month. Carbon monoxide detectors have a lifespan of about seven to 10 years, and they should be replaced in the five-to-six year range to be safe. There should always be one in each sleeping area and one per level of the home.