Caltrans Increasing Safety at School Crosswalks
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) recently issued a press release about their efforts to increase safety at school crosswalks across the state. Getting kids to school safely is a top traffic safety priority for Caltrans. They’ve been increasing visibility at crosswalks and at stop signs in other areas where vulnerable roadway users are. Caltrans has added these retro reflective sleeves in a variety of areas across California.
The reflective sleeves are also being added to areas with signs for active forms of transportation, such as cycling and walking. These bright reflective sleeves draw more attention to the signs and increase visibility and awareness for pedestrians, cyclists, and other vulnerable roadway users like children in school crosswalks.
U.S. Pedestrian Crash Facts
- In 2018, there were 6,283 pedestrian deaths on U.S. roadways.
- Between 2017 and 2018, there was a 3.4 percent increase in pedestrian fatalities in the U.S.
- On average, a pedestrian was killed every 84 minutes in 2018.
- In 2018, pedestrians accounted for 17 percent of all traffic fatalities.
- 17 percent of the children 14 years old and younger killed in traffic crashes in 2018 were pedestrians.
- Nearly one out of every five pedestrians killed in 2018 were struck in crashes involving hit and run drivers.
Improving Pedestrian Safety Across The U.S.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has a variety of tips for motorists and pedestrians to help improve roadway safety for all users. From high visibility clothing to avoiding distractions while walking or driving, there are plenty of ways for people to help increase safety at school crosswalks and all other areas where pedestrians travel.
Pedestrian Accidents in San Diego
Pedestrians are still one of the most vulnerable roadway user groups in the U.S., so any traffic safety innovations that can improve visibility and awareness around areas with lots of walking are critically important. After any kind of pedestrian accident, it’s a good idea to speak with a Personal Injury lawyer. You may be entitled to compensation to cover medical bills and other expenses associated with your injuries.
If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident in San Diego, along the Central Coast or in any of the nearby communities, contact the skilled and proven team at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, Inc. at 1.800.GO.HARRIS for a free case consultation today.