Teen Driving Accident Attorneys
Motor vehicle crashes are still the leading cause of death for teens. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has recently released their 2016 data about crashes involving young drivers. According to the NHTSA, young drivers are drivers from 15 to 20 years old. Many people in this age group have fairly recently obtained their licenses and might still be under a graduated driver licensing program as they continue to learn safe driving skills. It might not come as a surprise to many that young inexperienced drivers have higher crash rates than older more experienced drivers in the U.S.
Car Crashes Involving Young Drivers by The Numbers
- In 2016, there were 1,908 young drivers killed in crashes in the U.S.
- Nine percent of all drivers involved in fatal crashes in 2016 were 15 to 20 years old.
- Young drivers accounted for 5.4 percent of the total number of licensed drivers in the U.S. in 2016.
- In 2016, there were 254 motorcycle riders, ages 15 to 20 years old, killed in crashes.
- Of the young drivers killed with known restraint use, 47 percent were unrestrained at the time of the crash in 2016.
Safety Issues Facing Teen Drivers
The NHTSA has identified five major issues that impact teen driver safety. These issues include the use of cell phones, like texting while driving, having extra passengers in the vehicle and other factors that are associated with an increased risk of getting killed in a car accident. Listed below are the NHTSA’s Five to Drive safety rules for teen drivers.
NHTSA’s Five to Drive Rules for Teens
- No cell phone use.
- No extra passengers.
- No speeding.
- No alcohol.
- No driving or riding without a seatbelt.
Crashes Involving Teen Drivers
After any kind of car accident caused by the negligence or dangerous actions of another driver, regardless of age, it’s critical to speak with a personal injury lawyer about your claim. If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a crash involving a teen driver in San Diego or anywhere along the Central Coast, contact the skilled and proven team at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, Inc. at 1.800.GO.HARRIS for a free case consultation today.