La Mirada Personal Injury Attorneys | Accident Lawyers
La Mirada Wrongful Death Attorneys
The unexpected loss of a loved one is always tragic, but it can be particularly devastating when the loss was due to an avoidable accident caused by someone else’s carelessness. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, our compassionate wrongful death attorneys understand the emotional trauma you are facing. We are here to help you navigate this difficult season, to get back on your feet, and to properly grieve. Our team can help you explore all possible avenues of recovery and will not settle a case for an amount that is unsatisfactory to you. If needed, we will represent your interests in court by filing a lawsuit against the liable party.
To schedule a free case evaluation with us today, give us a call at 1-800-GO-HARRIS.
What is a Wrongful Death Case?
Wrongful death lawsuits exist to compensate family members when someone else’s negligence results in a loved one’s tragic death. In California, the personal representative of the deceased’s estate, or various parties who stand to inherit the deceased’s property if the deceased passed without a will, can bring a wrongful death claim.
No amount of money can ever bring your deceased family member back. Nonetheless, the law does provide an avenue for family members to recoup expenses necessary to handle the administration of their loved one’s estate, pay for funeral bills, and to get back on their feet financially during a turbulent time in their lives. The loss of a loved one is stressful in many ways, including financially, so a lawsuit can help families navigate this struggle.
Our wrongful death practice group handles the following types of wrongful death claims:
- Car, truck, bicycle, and motorcycle accidents
- Accidents involving rideshare vehicles
- Turo accidents
- Scooter accidents
- Boating accidents
- Train accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Aircraft accidents
- Bus accidents
- Premises liability cases resulting in wrongful death
- Other types of wrongful death cases
What Damages Are Available in a Wrongful Death Case?
Compensation in a wrongful death case varies based on the circumstances. Generally, you may be able to recover compensatory damages and exemplary damages.
- Compensatory damages cover both economic and non-economic losses. An example of an economic loss is lost income, property damage, and medical expenses, while a non-economic injury would involve emotional trauma, distress, and pain and suffering.
- Exemplary damages, also known as “punitive damages,” are applied in a few unique circumstances in which the other party’s conduct was extremely negligent or egregious. An exemplary damages award tends to be discretionary, meaning judges can grant them on a case-by-case basis.
Our Wrongful Death Lawyers Offer Free Case Consultations Daily
The attorneys at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers have a history of representing the family members of wrongful death victims. When you meet with us, we will ask you a series of questions to determine whether you have grounds to bring a wrongful death claim and if so, how to proceed.
Some of these questions might include:
- How did the accident happen?
- Did your loved one receive any medical treatment between the accident and his or her death?
- Have you gathered any evidence to support your claim?
- Have you spoken with the opposing party or his insurance company?
- Have you saved or recorded any of your conversations with the other parties or with eyewitnesses?
- Did you speak with anyone else about the accident or the circumstances surrounding it?
Our compassionate attorneys can take over the logistics of your case so that you can properly grieve. To schedule a free case consultation with us, we welcome you to send us a message online or to call our 24-hour phone line at 1-800-GO-HARRIS. If you cannot make it to our office, we will come to you.