Causation in Tractor Trailer Crashes
Crashes involving semi trucks can be incredibly devastating. Since tractor trailers are so large and heavy, the damage associated with these crashes is often fairly extensive. In 2007, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s Office of Research and Analysis conducted a large truck crash causation study.
Just the Facts: Truck Accidents
• 380,000 large trucks were involved in crashes in 2008.
• In 2009, 3,215 large trucks were involved in fatal collisions.
• In 2008, one out of nine traffic fatalities involved a large truck.
• 4,229 people died in crashes involving large trucks in 2008.
• In 2008, 90,000 people were injured in collisions involving large trucks.
• Two percent of large truck drivers involved in fatal crashes had a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level of .08 or higher in 2008.
The Large Truck Crash Causation Study Findings
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration looked at data from 120,000 large truck crashes that happened between April 2001 and December 2003. Critical event, critical reason and associated factors were the three key variables coded for assessing crash risk in large truck collisions. Listed below are the top 10 associated factors coded for large trucks and large truck drivers.
Crash Risk Associated Factors
• Brake problems
• Traffic flow interruption
• Prescription drug use
• Travelling too fast for conditions
• Unfamiliarity with roadway
• Roadway problems
• Required to stop before the crash
• Over-the-counter drug use
• Inadequate surveillance
What to do After a Wreck
Crashes involving semi trucks can leave surviving victims in the hospital and out of work. If you or a loved one has been injured in a crash involving a large truck, contact an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Depending upon the factors associated with your crash, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. If a truck driver was fatigued and fell asleep behind the wheel, you need to be fairly compensated for your injuries and damages. Large truck accidents can cause devastating injuries and destruction. If you have lost a loved one in a tractor trailer crash, contact the experienced team at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, Inc. at 1-877-231-9970 for a free consultation.