Lime Scooters Can Brake Suddenly
Popular scooter company Lime is warning consumers that there is a safety issue with their scooters. Apparently, there is a bug in the software that can cause “sudden excessive braking during use.” At this time, they have determined that in certain circumstances, the brake on the front wheel can suddenly and automatically engage, especially when hitting an obstacle, like a bump, and when going downhill at high speeds. This is incredibly dangerous, and can cause scooter riders to crash or be ejected from the scooter.
Lime Scooter Crash Injuries
Injuries associated with this issue have already been reported. According to, in December, a rider in Mission Bay was seriously injured when the Lime scooter he was riding suddenly stopped and sent him face-first into pavement. He sustained a broken nose, fractured skull, traumatic brain injury, fractured eye socket and other injuries in the crash. He had to spend five days in the hospital.
Resolving Lime Scooter Software Issues
Lime has reportedly launched a fleet-wide firmware update to address the issue. They said it could take a couple of days to be resolved though. Until the issue has been completely fixed, Lime has a list of safety precautions for users.
Lime’s Safety Precautions
- Do a visual inspection of scooter before getting on it.
- As soon as you begin a trip, give the brake a tight squeeze. If it’s malfunctioning at all, get off of the scooter and contact customer service.
- Ride with additional caution, especially when going downhill, for the next few days.
- Comply with any audible or visual warnings to slow down or adjust your speed.
- Ride defensively and always wear a helmet and other safety gear.
- Never ride impaired and always respect the right of way.
- Ride smart and follow the rules of the road.
- Don’t ride distracted, and keep both hands on the handlebars.
Lime Scooter Accidents in California
After any kind of accident involving a rental scooter, it’s a good idea to speak with a personal injury lawyer about your case. If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in an accident involving a Lime scooter in San Diego or anywhere along the Central Coast, contact the skilled and proven team atat 1.800.GO.HARRIS for a free case consultation today.