Malibu Personal Injury Lawyers | Accident Attorneys
Malibu Dog Bite Attorneys
In Malibu, dogs are a popular pet and are commonly seen in restaurants, parks, and other public places. Breeds vary from those small enough to fit in a handbag to those that stand nearly as tall as their owner. Regardless of the size or breed, any dog can attack and cause serious harm to victims. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, Inc. we help you hold dog owners accountable when dog bites or attacks occur.
As experienced Malibu dog bite attorneys, we represent clients who suffer injuries as a result of the reckless and negligent actions of dog owners. Our top case results show our success on obtaining settlements and jury awards worth hundreds of thousands of dollars on behalf of our clients. We are here 24 hours a day, seven days a week to assist you. To request a free consultation, call 1-800-GO-HARRIS today.
Our Malibu Dog Bite Attorneys Provide The Aggressive Representation You Need
The City of Malibu has tight regulations when it comes to having dogs in public. While they are often allowed to run freely on private beaches, dog owners are required to keep their pets leashed and under control in all public areas. When these regulations are not followed, serious personal injuries can occur as a result.
At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we provide the aggressive legal representation you need in these types of cases. Our Malibu dog bite attorneys hold owners accountable when the following types of injuries occur:
- Deep cuts and lacerations due to being scratched by a dog’s claws;
- Penetrating puncture wounds that result from dog bites;
- Torn muscles and tendons due to the violence of a dog attack;
- Strains, sprains, and other soft tissue injuries suffered while trying to fight a dog off.
In addition to the above, dog bites and scratches can result in serious and potentially life-threatening infections. Dogs can also transfer dangerous diseases, including rabies, tetanus, and salmonella.
What Should I Do In The Event of A Dog Bite or Attack?
The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) warns that close to one million people require emergency medical attention as a result of dog bites each year. Dogs are more likely to bite when they are hurt, hungry, nervous, or perceive a threat to themselves or their owner.
If you encounter what appears to be an aggressive dog in a park, your neighborhood, or other public place, it is important to fight the urge to run or panic. This can make the dog more likely to attack. If a dog is coming at you, curl into a ball to protect your face, neck, and other vulnerable areas. Use your handbag or a jacket to try and block bites or scratches. In the immediate aftermath of an attack, our Malibu dog bite attorneys advise taking the following steps:
- Notify local law enforcement immediately;
- Get a description of the dog, its owner, and the exact location the attack occurred;
- Get contact information from any witnesses at the scene;
- Seek medical attention for your injuries, regardless of their severity.
Once you have gotten treatment for your injuries, reach out to Harris Personal Injury Lawyers to protect your rights in filing a dog bite claim.
How Do I File A Dog Bite Claim Against The Owner?
Dog bites can have long term impacts on your physical health. Being the victim of an attack can also leave you suffering lasting trauma. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, our legal team helps you seek compensation for your losses through a dog bite claim.
Our Malibu dog bite attorneys can conduct a thorough investigation into your case, identifying the dog owner and gathering the evidence needed to hold them accountable. In some cases, property insurance policies they have in place may reimburse you for a portion of your losses. However, you may be entitled to additional types of compensation in a dog bite lawsuit filed through the Los Angeles County Civil Court. While the exact amount varies depending on the circumstances, damages available include:
- Economic damages: This covers the tangible costs associated with your dog bite injuries. It includes compensation for current medical expenses and lost wages, as well as for any future costs you are likely to incur.
- Non-economic damages: These cover intangible costs, such as your pain and suffering. These also compensate you for any loss of enjoyment in life you experience as a result of your injuries.
- Punitive damages: In cases where the dog owner acted in a particularly willful and negligent manner, they may be ordered by the judge in your case to pay additional amounts as a form of punishment.
Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS And Request A Free Consultation
Dog bites and attacks can take years to recover from and often leave lasting scars. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, LLC., we hold negligent dog owners accountable so you can get the compensation you deserve in a claim. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS or contact our Malibu dog bite attorneys online and request a free consultation today.